SLP shiate for my bro

Guest nevarmore

Guest nevarmore

Hey, Im helping my brother (lives near polaris) do a pulley swap on his SLP the weekend of the 22nd, could someone loan us a pulley puller? Pick it up at hooters that friday and have it back to you by next friday. Are there any tips or caveats that we should prepare for when doing the swap? Any parts we need beyond the pulley and the belt?

He was also looking at a GM transmission cooler, to keep temps down with the new power from the pulley. How hard is this? Are any aftermarket or non-OEM units better than the Generals? Can it be done in front of his condo or should we borrow a garage?

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Zorak/nevarmore:

He was also looking at a GM transmission cooler, to keep temps down with the new power from the pulley. How hard is this? Are any aftermarket or non-OEM units better than the Generals? Can it be done in front of his condo or should we borrow a garage?

Thanks in advance.

I've got a B&M SuperCooler, which was $50. Looks like a very good quality (and sturdy) piece. It comes with a universal install kit with hoses and brackets, which is pretty easy, though you need to lift the car up. The toughest part is finding a place to mount the cooler on a particular car, but it's very compact.

Edit: I haven't seen the GM one, so I don't know how it compares to that, but the B&M was better than the other aftermarket ones I looked at.

Huh? Is this going on a Grand Prix?

If so:

1. You will have to rent a pulley puller. DO NOT use a standard pulley puller. You MUST use a 3800 approved pulley puller or you will completely fuck the bearings in the supercharger snout and the snouts aren't cheap. I recommend http://www.zzperformance.com to rent a puller from. They are VERY nice and will have it to you in a day or two. Not to mention cheaper than anywhere else. tongue.gif

2. A Trans cooler is not nessecary and I do NOT reccomend them. Heat does not kill the 4T65E, one wheel burnouts do. If he stays away from one wheel burnouts he should be just fine. The 4T65E is designed to run at 200-210 degrees and anything much less the trans will start to be a bigger parasite than it already is. Somewhere to the tune of 25 extra WHP. I am near 300 FWHP and near 350 FWTQ and I do not run a cooler. My trans does not get warmer than operating temperature even with 3.69 gears and a higher stall.

Visit www.INTENSE-racing.com for some more fun parts. :D

Guest nevarmore
Originally posted by UDunnoMe:

1. You will have to rent a pulley puller. DO NOT use a standard pulley puller. You MUST use a 3800 approved pulley puller or you will completely fuck the bearings in the supercharger snout and the snouts aren't cheap. I recommend http://www.zzperformance.com to rent a puller from. They are VERY nice and will have it to you in a day or two. Not to mention cheaper than anywhere else. tongue.gif

Thanks for the tips and the links, we won't dink around with the trans cooler then, and my brother isnt the type to smoke the tires intentionally.

The specific puller is what im looking for, i know there are a few guys that have done puilley swaps for the supercharged 3800 on here, i was hoping someone local would have the approved puller for us to borrow so we didnt have to pay to rent/buy one.

Originally posted by Zorak/nevarmore:

Thanks for the tips and the links, we won't dink around with the trans cooler then, and my brother isnt the type to smoke the tires intentionally.

The specific puller is what im looking for, i know there are a few guys that have done puilley swaps for the supercharged 3800 on here, i was hoping someone local would have the approved puller for us to borrow so we didnt have to pay to rent/buy one.

Hmmm I'm pretty sure I'm the only one. smile.gif

Originally posted by Nevarmore:

so will you loan me the puller or not?

:confused:

I have one for a LT1... I don't know if it's the same or not... I broke some of the screws though, so you'll have to pick up the screws that you need for it at any local parts store.... PM me and we'll work somthing out. I don't normally go to Hooters... but I might be able to make an exception... How long will you need the puller for?

Originally posted by Josh Miller:

I have one for a LT1... I don't know if it's the same or not... I broke some of the screws though, so you'll have to pick up the screws that you need for it at any local parts store.... PM me and we'll work somthing out. I don't normally go to Hooters... but I might be able to make an exception... How long will you need the puller for?

Nope, not a 3800 puller. Use it of you want to ruin the bearings and replace the $350 snout. :(

I got a tranny cooler from GP store and its in my trunk as we speak, and i am definatly putting it on mine, likes or dislikes, sorry chris, lol. and im ordering the new nose and pully as we speak. Big Grin smile.gif

Originally posted by EVILGTP98:

I got a tranny cooler from GP store and its in my trunk as we speak, and i am definatly putting it on mine, likes or dislikes, sorry chris, lol. and im ordering the new nose and pully as we speak. Big Grin smile.gif

It is your car and you can do whatever you like. I won't cast stones. I was just saying what I wouldn't do. Have fun, you'll love the pulley. :D

oh yess, i cant wait to get it here, i got the pulley, 160 therm stat and a triple gauge pod on the way, next is the computer and exhaust cutout and lowering springs, but I really need it dynoed cause I want to see what im starting with, lol. Its all good.