knocking sound

leez

I have a 1987 olds cutlas with a 307ci engine in it. last night when i pulled into my driveway i started to here a knocking sound. it only does it when it is in park or neutrul. does not do it at all while in drive. just wondering if someone might have an idea of what it might be and how it can be fixed.

Trying to think of an easy way to describe this.

If it is a deeper knocking sound it MAY be a connecting rod

If it sounds a little clickedy it MAY need lash adjustment.

Hard thing to trouble shoot over the internet I juess.

Originally posted by Tinman:

Whoa! don't think about worst case scenario yet. First check the converter/flywheel bolts.

Great call. Had a friend pull a motor once because of a "knocking rod". When I went over there, he had the engine and tranny sitting on the ground (after 5-6 hours of work). You could see the torque converter was completely loose. I grabbed it and rattled it around a few times and asked him, "Did your knocking noise sound like this?" lol Oops. smile.gif

Unfortunatly, its gotten worse. its now making the noise in drive. it does it the whole time the car is running. its even gotten louder. also still gets louder as i give it more gas. its definitly inside the engine. when im inside the car driving it, i can feel a vibration in the gas pedal. its not a bad vibration but its noticable and not normal.