slipping clutch or driver error

BeyondAddiction

ok, well this is what is going on, when i start up the car, i let it warm up for a few minutes because it has a cam and drives shitty as hell if i dont, but it will still drive pretty bad after that for like a couple minutes

when i start to move and give it some gas, it kind if jerks and it sounds like well, i dont know, its kind of like the sound of a popcan when you push in the side and then let it pop back out into place, it sounds like that but with a bigger thicker popcan, and it really wont move very fast the more gas i give it, each jerk of the car is like its trying to get up to how much gas i'm giving it, but the revs wont go up even tho i'm giving it the right amount of gas or even more

then finally on the last jerk its like i had turbo lag or something because it just takes off to how much gas i am giving it

it kind of acts like a when you start to let off the clutch but not giving it enough gas and it starts jerking, but it makes it in the wrong place when i know im giving it enough gas and plus it will make that sound

so since the revs arent going up like an engine with a slipping clutch would, could it possibly be the injectors getting clogged and just not working right until it starts to warm up and i am giving it more gas?

its just weird because it only does then when i start it for the first time each day, and once i get out of my plat it will run fine even if i am stopped at a stoplight and take off again, it will on occasion do it later on in the day if its been sitting for a little while but not usually because i dont normally have any problem with it after work, only the next morning when i start it up again for the first time the next day

Guest njbargar
you might need new spark plug wires. My car was doing that for a while and somebody on here told me to check or replace the plug wires. New wires wound up fixing the problem.

if it was your clutch slipping it would get worse the more the clutch warmed up. So the symptoms would be opposite...ie: after drive it around for a couple of min and use the clutch a few times. the rpms climb but car doesnt accelerate as it should. or at least thats my understanding of clutch slippage

Kyle G>

Guest njbargar
Originally posted by Saint:

hmmm...might have to check that, but why would it not be a problem once the car warmed up?

Mine never fully went away. It always did it at lower rpms, even when warmed up. But once I got the car past around 2500rpms, it wouldn't do it. It could be that your wires aren't as bad as mine were. Checking them is a bitch, your best bet is to find someone with the same car that has working wires and switch em out to see. I knew mine needed replaced anyways and sure enough, it took care of the problem.

What does the car have done to it? What cam? It sounds to me like it has some closed loop idle issues and is loading up/going way lean in closed loop (rich and lean act very similar in a closed loop idle). Does it have an adjustable FPR? What cam does it have in it?

You said the car needs 02's, have you replaced them? That could do it.

Rob

Guest Wallythecat

I used to have something similar happen to my old S10. Does it feel all bubbly and jerky at first? When my truck would get damp (like it rains awhile before I would drive anywhere), it would do this all the time. Try checking your plug wires and maybe try a little "wire dryer" spray stuff. Coat the wires, distributor etc... and see if that works. You might have a little opening or crack somewhere that's allowing moisture in. I never found the problem with my truck, so I always kept a can handy.

Good Luck!

Chris

Guest Steps
I think I agree with RL. My brother and I just finished building a 5.0 for his 92 notchback and with my initial tune he was running lean. When cold, or in gear at lower RPM's it would jerk pretty bad. I tuned it again and added more fuel and the problem stopped.