blown head gasket

Guest sphen02

Guest sphen02
yes yes its true. the 86 has a blown headgasket...well not blown but theres a leak coming from the back and its got some coolant problems upfront. so im going to be replacing my water pump and thermostat and headgasket sometime next week depending on when parts arrive and such. but shoot me a pm if u want to stop by ill talk to my dude and see what he says about people coming over to help.

Guest sphen02
Originally posted by controler:

Why not a 20 valve 4ag?

because thats a 800 dollar engine and then to properly install it it would take another few hundred and you have to cut the fire wall and this and that...its too much of a hassle. and it doesnt handle boost as well as the 16v's. the 16v big port head (also known as the blue top) which is what i have, is the most boost tolerant head because it has the biggest valves. the 4agze block and accompanying hardware (pistons and such) is the best block so if you slap them together you have a rather boost tolerant beast of a 4a-ge which is what i plan to do in the future but for now id just like this 4age to run :D

Guest sphen02

:D I haven't done my 4ag research... I just have visions of 11,000 rpms dancing in my head. Again, I know that isn't possible stock, but it would be sweet.

What kind of boost do the 4ag's run tuned, what power level?

Most people dont run much more than like 11 psi and they make around 190-200 rwhp, the t50 transmission is only good for about 200hp after that people will upgrade to a w58 transmission from a mkii supra. the people that do that are usually running sick amounts of boost. But the boosted 4ag's dont really run to all that high of an rpm. they usually run about 264* cams and will rev to about 8 grand. the NA 4age's that make similar horsepower figures tend to run just incredibly sick cams like 304*s or something like that and rev to close to 11grand :D thatd be nice hehe. Depending on different things I am most likely picking up some HKS 256* cams next summer for a lil more power and to start building up my 4a-gte :D hehe.

EDIT: the most common boosted application for the 4a-ge is just to replace it with a 4a-gze which is a rather nice swap because it offers alot of power and cures the 4a-ge's lack of torque there is also a 12psi pulley for the engine that boosts power up to about 220hp. the engine starts off running 8psi. because of the 4a-ges high revving nature it is rather weak in the low end not building its maximum torque until 5200rpm. and even then the maximum torque is rather low. to cure this problem the 4age was supercharged starting in 1988 and it made 145ps but at 6400 rpm instead of the NA's 130ps at 6600. but the maximum torque is reached at 4400 rpm with a 25% increase from 15.2 kg/cm (i dont know the conversion and the only numbers i can find are from japanese sites) to 19.0 kg/cm. the later models were bumped up to 170 ps and 21.0 kg/cm although not huge numbers one must consider the time these engines came about. In the mid eighties to early nineties there were not many factory four cylinder engines making close to 200 hp boosted or not. and it does not take all that much power to push a 2200lb car ;) . hopefully my information was helpful for those curious about boosted 4ag's :D if u have any more questions lemme know.

[ 30. July 2003, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: boro hachi ]

Guest mudbutt

:D I haven't done my 4ag research... I just have visions of 11,000 rpms dancing in my head. Again, I know that isn't possible stock, but it would be sweet.

What kind of boost do the 4ag's run tuned, what power level?

Someone has been watching their Initial D

Guest sphen02

if your lookin for a nice one...mines not the one to look at ;)

its all rusted out...half primed.... the interiors a mess..its a work in progress...but on a lighter note...i might not have a blown headgasket....i fount out...my water pump was not completely attached....one of the main bolts under my timing cover was almost all the way out of its hole..like i kid you not i twisted it twice and pulled it out.but the pump was all messed up...so i think that may have indeed been my main problem...i am gonna drive it...clean out my engine bay...and take it back to my friends garage to see if its leaking around the head when i get done puttin it back together...it wotn take much...just gotta reposition my alternator...put my fan, fan shroud, belt and intake piping back on... :D less than 30 minutes of work left

EDIT: but if u want to see some pic's of nice ones. go to www.club4ag.com

Guest slw240sx
Originally posted by Ol' Drippy:

I know all about a bad water pump :( Atleast I got the car cheep because of it tongue.gif

ol'drippy: the pump looks fine to me *tosses it back into the box*

slw240sx : *picks pump back up* dude hows it supposed to pump water when there arnt any fins on it anymore?

ol'ddrippy: oh, sh*t, your right, damn guess thats a problem *tosses pump back to box*