buick broken, need fixed

Guest nevarmore

Guest nevarmore

Ok ~5:30PM bought new air filter (generic ricer cone) @ autozone. installed in parking lot.

~7:00PM crusing down I-76 noticed the engine running a bit sluggish

~7:15 exited to have a peek, car died at first light after the ramp.

Diagnosis at home. There is fuel going to the rail, pretty sure there is spark (didnt have the wrench to check), turns over nice and strong (battery, alt, starter are good), fluids are all in range.

When i crank it long (longer than i should be) exhaust smelling smoke comes out of the air filter. I pinged the entire exhaust pipe looking for obstructions and found none.

Any ideas as to why a 1987 3.8 L GM motor would die in such a fashion? A friend suggested lack of fuel to the injectors. Could it be the EGR valve? I recently filled up, would "bad gas" cause these symptoms?

im trying to get this going so i can do some family stuff tomorrow. any help is appreciated.

Eric/Driver: if youre reading this email or call me.

Guest nevarmore

ok i went out and did some shit this evening with my crew.came home around 2:30 and just stuck the key in and cranked it for shits and giggles, and the car started. WTF.

getting codes run tomorrow, thanks for all the help and suggestions. tongue.gif

+1

Guest nevarmore

got up to run it to AZ and have them pull codes. it died 20 feet out of my parking space.

tried to pull codes by shorting the diag terminal, it flashed once then twice and code 12 = diagnostic mode and thats it.

there is spark. i pulled a plug held it on the block and cranked the motor and it sparked. there is fuel up to the rail.

any ideas? im abbout to clean the MAF since i just popped on a new cone filter i might have dirtied/damaged it.

pleeeeze help

Guest nevarmore
Well I've narrowed it down to the fuel system, the EGR, the MAF, clogged catalytic, bad ECM, bad timing, bad cam/crank sensor. All in all at least $300 or $400 worth of shit that I can't easily fix in the apartment parking lot. She goes to a mechanic tomorrow. I fucking hate taking my car to the mechanic, but it ain't gunna go with me working on it anytime soon.

Guest nevarmore

in case anyone cares the timing chain or one of the sprockets went.

theres some plastic shit in there that goes around 90,000 miles. for those of you with GM 3.8 L motors I suggest fixing this BEFORE it breaks. $500 outta my pocket into the mechanic.

Guest nevarmore
Originally posted by Steps:

Know what your problem was?

It's a BUICK! :D

Hahah, just messing with Dave...

You mess with Buick, you mess with me bitch!

:mad: