Doing weird stuff (fuel cuts out, won't shift)

Trouble Maker

As far as I can tell, two totally different problems, but I'm lazy and don't want to make two post. For background, thoes who don't know: 92 eagel talon tsi awd w/small 16g, full exhuast, k&n filter, mbc set to 10psi, automatic.

First problem: When going around corners the engine just dies. I'm assuming it's losing fuel. I've read stuff about the pickups in our cars not being so good and if you autox/road race/go around any corners you shouldn't let it drop bellow 1/4 of a tank. Well it's never done this before, even on E. It did it a few times when I had a little less than a quarter of a tank in the last month or so. Well two days ago driving home I had a supposed half a tank (backed up by me geting gas the next day when it read 3/8 and it took 8gals.). It did it three different times on the way home around corners. I also looked down after some long sweeping corners and my low fuel light came on for a half a second.

Second problem: That night before when my car was cutting out around the coreners, other than that problem, it drove fine. This is the one that really concerns me. Went to meet my mom at the krogers ~1.5 mi from our house. Car wouldn't shift out of third. It wouldn't shift on it's own or if I tried to manually shift it. It did this on the way there and back (after sitting for about an hour). Remember, it ran fine to appelbees and back the night before. Let it sit in our driveway for another hour. Took it for a ride and it was fine, it's been fine since then too.

Any ideas would be greatly appericated. Thanks all, later.

change your transmission filter and fluid.

if you have problems with fuel pulling away from the sump you either have to reengineer your stock one, get a fuel cell, or just keep it at least half full of gas.

I've had the fuel pull away from buick sump at 1/4 tank and lower on hard launches my solution was to just run 1/2 tank instead of a 1/4 at the track

hth

The TCU went into safe mode. That's all I know regarding autos ;)

Fuel pick-up usually isn't an issue w/ AWDs, even with very low tank levels. Were you on the gas around these turns or just cruising? How old are your plugs, wires and fuel filter?

Originally posted by BOOST_ME:

The TCU went into safe mode. That's all I know regarding autos ;)

Fuel pick-up usually isn't an issue w/ AWDs, even with very low tank levels. Were you on the gas around these turns or just cruising? How old are your plugs, wires and fuel filter?

Just changed my plugs and wires about a month ago, generic 40 buck wires, ngk bpr6es plugs.... but it's done this thing a few times where i'll get on it, even though more than one gear, and as i get off it does this fluttering thing, like a miss, but only when I'm geting off of the gas... related?

Never done fuel filter. Maybe I'll do that and tranny fluid and filter, never done thoes either (owned the car for about a year and a half now).

I was thinking some kind of safe mode in the computer that controls the tranny too, but when I've heard of cars doing this the computer kill's od only, 1-3 are good. I've heard of numerous other cars doing this (various makes and models).

Of course I was geting on the gas. graemlins/burnout02.gif

Well wtf....

It did it again today, but then quite again after two on of cycles, just like last time.

ie: runs fine, turn off car, turn on car, only 3rd gear, turn off car, turn on car, only 3rd gear, turn off car, turn on car, runs fine.

Don't know how many times I've started and stoped it sine it last did this, but I've driven about half a tanks worth of gas since then, all the time working fine. Only unifying factor either time when it started was my car was very cold (as in hadn't been started in a quite a few hours), and it was very hot outside...

I'm just about to say fuck it and do the m/t swap, I've been wanting to anyways, just not now (money)...