3.56 or 3.73?s

Guest project3.4camaro

Guest project3.4camaro
My camaro has 3.23 stock in the rear end. Somehwo the hamster on the wheel in my engine bay has worn out the ring and pinion. My first thought was U- joints, but after removal of driveshaft, which is 2 piece(WTF) i found the u joints and all other related joints functioning properly. when i checked out the ring and pinion, there was about 3/32" of play in it. Now, I am lost at what to get for gears. 3.73 or 3.56? Does anyone else have a similar gears and can tell me what they get mileage/performance wise? Mines a five speed 3.4 v6. thanks

Guest stevil

You sure you have 3.23 gears? I thought all V6 cars had 2.73 gears, I'm probably wrong. Or maybe you switched rearends.

Anyways, I'd go for 3.73 gears. I also have 3.23 gears, and wouldn't swap to 3.42 (or 3.56) gears, because it wouldn't be that much of an improvement performance wise. You'll probably get a little less gas mileage than before, but should be alot quicker.

I don't feel like calculating it out, but since your car can't trap that high to begin with, 4.56's wouldn't be too high from a performance standpoint (you'd actually be able to use 4th gear at the track).

Gas mileage and driveability will suffer.........

Guest Steps

People are installing 4.10 - 4.30's in new Mustangs and it is not affecting their mileage if they keep their foot out of it.

Stock the best MPG I got was 23. With my mods now I get 25.2. And the driveability is BETTER!

Guest project3.4camaro
Thanks for the help gentlemen. BTW, Im checking on how the 1 piece would fit. Has anyone used the lt1 one piece? Im just wondering if the length is different b/n the t-5 and ur old lt1 tranny. Bc if it does fit than that's be excellent I brake for no one. btw, im pretty sure about the gears. I looked up the codes and am 99 percent sure they are 3.23. the older 3rd gens had 2.73s in them but i think they swithced in 93. Also, has anyone had any major probs with their EGR valve? I think mines acting up. It's still the original and has 133k on it. Thanks

OK...

1) Yes, the one-piece will fit. I've swapped them out before from V8 to V6 and back(as I've owned a 94 3.4 Camaro and a 94Z). If you want the driveshaft, I can help you install it.

2) Find your RPO code sheet, which should be located in the bottom of the glove box(it's a sticker). Look for one of these codes. GU2, GU5, GU6.

GU2: 2.73s

GU5: 3.23s

GU6: 3.42s

That code tells you what rear end gears your car came with. I have a feeling that the V6 came with different optional gear ratios due to the open diff configuraton, so if yu see a different GU RPO code, lemme know what it is. I'm thinking maybe GU4, 3.08s.

Anyways, lemme know about that driveshaft. If you want it and wanna do it this weekend, I can assist you with the RPO codes too :cool:

Guest project3.4camaro
Forgive me in advance for I am quite inebrated at the time i am writing this. I attend OU in athens, thus I well not be home until the weekend of the 13th and 14th. I'll b chekcing the codes tomm. when i wake up and get back to ya, but im pretty sure it is GU5. Im in no hurry for the driveshaft but at that price I can't pass that up. I may plan a trip home soon tho, depends on exams and all that good stuff. I'll post when I'll be home, and if u are free we'll get in touch. When Im home, im typically free, so let me know when u would b free to work on it. I am pretty esperienced with working on cars, i have done it quite often with my firends cars, so it shouldn't take long. Thanks!

I'm free after 5pm on the weekdays, and anytime on the weekends. Shoot me a PM when you're planning on coming back and we'll figure something out with the DS swap.

Also, I'm pretty decent knowledge-wise on the 3.4L since I had to tear into mine several times. If you have questions, lemme know smile.gif