Fiero Steering Column HELP

Mr. Jones

On the fiero's steering column, where the tilt function area is, has suddenly developed some "circular" play. graemlins/wtf.gif

Allowing the wheel to be rotated a bit. I drove the car this way a bit today, didn't seem terrible, but feels very odd when your steering wheel is moving around. :rolleyes:

Anyone ever heard of this before?

I dropped the whole column this evening and could not gain access to the area in question. It would appear that the wheel and much of the electronics would have to be removed.

TIA

-Shawn

GM tilt columns have 3 screws down inside the column. Over time those 3 screws will come loose, allowing the column to shift around. What you need to do, is take the steering wheel off, remove the lock plate, and pretty much everything inside the column, until you get down to those 3 screws. Then just tighten them up, and reassemble. You will need a steering wheel puller, and a lock plate puller though. Let me know if you need help. I've got the tools, it shouldn't take more than an hour.

Originally posted by WORKTRUCK:

GM tilt columns have 3 screws down inside the column. Over time those 3 screws will come loose, allowing the column to shift around. What you need to do, is take the steering wheel off, remove the lock plate, and pretty much everything inside the column, until you get down to those 3 screws. Then just tighten them up, and reassemble. You will need a steering wheel puller, and a lock plate puller though. Let me know if you need help. I've got the tools, it shouldn't take more than an hour.

:eek:

That is exactely what I was looking for, thank you very much. I would very much apprciate the help/tools on this.

If you have the opportunity, please give me a ring @ 746-3017 or PM /post your contact info.

Again, thanks very much!

smile.gif