buddy needs advice

Guest njbargar

Guest njbargar

He's got a 89 Camaro. He says its a 302 in it but Nitrous bird says its probably a TBI 305. The car is paid for so that's why he wants to fix it up. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions, LEGIT SUGGESTIONS, on aftermarket mods for it. By the way it's an AT trans, which after riding in it, I think thats a huge problem, so I suggested a shift kit. Feel free to email me with LEGIT SUGGESTIONS @ njbargar@msn.com

Thanks guys. ;)

Well the 305 is a turd of a motor. I'm an import guy and even I know that. ;) I think the cheapest mod would be a 350, they can be had for dirt cheap. The price and power output depending on the year and mileage of the motor. He could throw it in stock or modded and it would certainly be a lot faster than even a modded 305.

My vote is motor swap. smile.gif

if you don't care about the fuel injection you can get 300-350hp outta that ole 305 without too many problems. edelbrock performer air gap manifold, 650 cfm carb of your choice, headers a crane saturday night special cam, a good regulator so you can drop the fuel pressure to about 5psi, after market hei dist and a cowl hood so it all fits. you can do the whole swap in a weekend if you have a decent set of tools.

you could get a little more out of it with a set of world products or edelbrock aluminum heads.

if you decide to swap for a 350 your going to need the tbi unit from a truck and the computer the 305 setup won't provide enough fuel. if I was goin to go to all the trouble to do a motor swap though I'd look for an LS/LT-1 its a little more work but you'd suprise some people good luck with your project.

305 is a dog b/c it doesnt have a 4" bore. The intake valves are too close to the cylinder walls to flow very well.

regardless, 300hp should be possible... but dont expect too much more out of it (without a poweradder, nitrous, etc).

Guest njbargar
I was wrong he says it's the TBI 305, my bad. Any camaro guys know of any online specialty shops so he could start getting an idea of prices and what not? Thanks so far. ;)

A good place to learn about third gen fbods is www.thirdgen.org

There is lots of good tech stuff there. Everything you can think of, and even some things you'd never want to think of, have been done with/to these cars. smile.gif There's also a bunch of links to various parts dealers.

Good luck. smile.gif