opti spark

red1647545490

If you are talking about the module in the optispark burning up, it could be that the coil has a few shorted turns and it is overloading the module. You would still have spark in this situation and the car would run until the unit burnt out. I would have the coil tested (and testing it with an OHM meter, even a digital, is not a good test. The resistance of a primary winding on a coil is normally to low to be acurately tested with a regular meter), or better yet, if you have a buddy with a similar setup you might try borrowing a coil and testing, but with that I am not sure how how long it is taking it to fry. You may also consider just replacing the coil. I am not aware of the price of these coils, but if it's not silly expensive, I would go that route to be safe.

Another consideration is have you changed to some aftermarket coil? Reason I ask this is some of the hipo coils have a very low primary resistance (low number of primary turns) if this is the case,you may have selected a coil that requires more power to fire than the optispark module can handle. Here too, it will work for a little while, then it burns out.

I would also go over as much wiring harness as possible, wiring can fray and cause interminet shorts that can fry stuff but once you are sitting still measure out correctly.

This is sort of like MSD coils, you can take an MSD Blaster coil, and run it with a pretty much stock ignition. But a Pro Power drag coil requires so much power that it will cook an MSD 6 box and pretty much any stock ignition. They sujest a minimum or an MSD 7 series box for this reason.

Disclaimer: I have not actually ever worked with Opti Spark systems, just alot of other stuff and I have run into these problems with other systems in the past, so this may help and it may not, but either way, it applys to most anything out there in ignitions, including DIS, HEI, most all stock "electronic" ignitions and even points, although points will tend to either weld together or pit badly with an improper coil or a coil with shorted windings.

Hope you find this informative and helpful.