Ceramic coating

Guest slasherz34

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by slasherz34:

Who in town does ceramic coating? i have some headers i want coated. anyone?

-Paul<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dont know of anyone local. My friend just had his sent to Jet Hot and they did a great job. You can check em out if you'd like. He said they were extremely helpful and professional..

If you're intreested in getting the best solution, you might want to check out Swain Coatings in NY state. www.swaintech.com

Here's what one guy on our Supra list had to say (The original question was in reference to fuel rail coatings):

"If you are coating the rail, I recommend that you go with the SwainTech White Lightning coating. I have Jet-Hot Sterling (I think that's similar to HPC -- one of them anyway) and SwainTech WL on my car. IMO, the Jet-Hot is little more than glorified aluminum paint (a little aluminum powder and a tiny bit of ceramic dust in it), while the SwainTech is a true ceramic coating (almost 5x thicker than the Jet-Hot Sterling) and actually rejects heat to a noticeable extent.

Steve"

HPC often gets mentioned along with Jet Hot, and they seem to use similar processes. They are at: www.hpcoatings.com

There are a number of opinions from RX7 guys at: http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/exhaust.html#COA

Here are some other links from the RX7 article for header coating companies:

Performance Coatings http://www.performancecoatings.com/

Tech Line Coatings http://www.goracing.com/techline/index.html

HPC High Performance Coatings http://www.hpcoatings.com

ZYP Coatings http://www.zypcoatings.com/

Vapor Technologies http://www.vaportech.com/noframes/auto.htm

Performance Coatings http://www.cyberhost7.net/performa/index.html

AirBorn Coatings http://www.airborncoatings.com/index.html

Swain Tech Coatings http://www.swaintech.com/sindex.html

[ 27 December 2001: Message edited by: Six Cylinder Science Project ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nitrousbird:

My Hooker Long Tubes are Jet Hot coated. Sadly, the coating isn't holding up as well as I had hoped. :( It does help keep the heat down a lot, though!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

really? I am surprised. When were they originally coated? I would call them, I thought they had some sort of garantee?.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LoudLude:

really? I am surprised. When were they originally coated? I would call them, I thought they had some sort of garantee?.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They can guarantee all they want, but there is NO WAY I'm pulling those freaking headers until its time to pull the motor (which better not be for a while!!). Not exactly an easy job getting them in there....my hands took a while to stop bleeding from that damn install!!!

Now if they offered to have them professionally removed, re-coated, and re-installed, then........ smile.gif But I don't see that happening, so I'll live with them as-is.

Guest potentn2o
Hooker headers are not Jet-Hot coated. Hooker does their own coating and god only knows what they use. I have seen Hooker headers flake and rust sitting on the shelf. If i remember right Hooker does not offer a lifetime warranty on their coatings (Jet-Hot does). If a manufacturer has Jet-Hot coat their headers they will usually advertise this fact such as Dynomax does and will pass on the lifetime warranty to you that is offered by Jet-Hot. If you have a problem with the coating on the Dynomax stuff, Dynomax will exchange of refund the headers and then Dynomax collects from Jet-Hot under Jet-Hot's lifetime warranty program.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Potentn2o:

Hooker headers are not Jet-Hot coated. Hooker does their own coating and god only knows what they use. I have seen Hooker headers flake and rust sitting on the shelf. If i remember right Hooker does not offer a lifetime warranty on their coatings (Jet-Hot does). If a manufacturer has Jet-Hot coat their headers they will usually advertise this fact such as Dynomax does and will pass on the lifetime warranty to you that is offered by Jet-Hot. If you have a problem with the coating on the Dynomax stuff, Dynomax will exchange of refund the headers and then Dynomax collects from Jet-Hot under Jet-Hot's lifetime warranty program.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uhmm...yeah, but my Hooker LT's ARE Jet-Hot coated. They were even drop-shipped from Jet-Hot, in a big Jet-Hot box, with Jet-Hot paperwork and everything. smile.gif:D

And Dynomax doesn't make a header worth putting on an LT1. Other than modded or custom headers, Hooker LT's are THE best LT1 header out there. :D I realize that Hooker's own coating sucks (hence the reason I paid more for Jet-Hot's), since Hooker only coats the outside with some cheap coating.

As I said, if Jet-Hot wants to offer to take my headers on/off for me and re-coat them, by all means. Otherwise, I guess I'll wait until I pull the motor and send them back to be re-coated.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Six Cylinder Science Project:

If you're intreested in getting the best solution, you might want to check out Swain Coatings in NY state. www.swaintech.com

........<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Holy cow, Mark! That was quite a response smile.gif

Just thought I'd let you know I enjoyed it and will be saving it for future use :D

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Six Cylinder Science Project:

Hey, no problem. :D

BTW, let me know if your buddy with the 3rd gen Camaro is going to be hanging out with us some time. I'd like to get his thoughts on a few things.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, I missed this post Mark. I'm sure he'll be out sometime. He usually heads out there.. He was scared of the rain that night.. ;)

• 1 month later...

Hey, I know this is an old thread, but I just saw this post over on Supraforums:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I'm qualified to answer this!

Here's the deal:

Whatever you do, DO NOT use header crap...er...wrap on your manifolds or downpipes!! Regardless if it is stainless or not, the life of the object wrapped will go WAY down. I used to work for a well-known manufacturer of automobile and motorcycle turbosystems. All we ever fabricated was made out of 304 or 321 stainless, or SCH40 pipe. We have used EVERY product available. The wrap merely traps moisture during cool-down...

As far as ceramic-coating goes, we used it frequently on turbine housings, headers and downpipes. Outside coverage IS recommended, but do NOT coat the inside of the pipes! The material INSIDE is what melts/cracks and ends up inside your turbo! OUTSIDE good, INSIDE bad.

Cheap plug #4827: I use Lo-Ko Performance Coatings in Illinois. Cheaper than HPC or Jet-Hot, better sheen appearance, and MUCH quicker turnaround time.

You are all welcome!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My headers are Jet-Hot coated. After hard driving, I can park the car...and 10 minutes later grab the headers with my bare hands and they'll be cool to the touch.

My coating is still shiny and looks great. I'm the second owner of these headers too, so the coating is not that new. If ya wanna look into it, contact Jet-Hot. They'll send you a bigass package with all the info you could want, and a VHS tape to boot.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The American Frontier:

My headers are Jet-Hot coated. After hard driving, I can park the car...and 10 minutes later grab the headers with my bare hands and they'll be cool to the touch.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It also helps that it's 15 degrees outside ;) Let me know when you're gonna try that in the summer so I can have the video camera ready :D

I've also heard nothing but good things about Jet Hot, and nothing but bad about header wrap. The wrap is DEFINITELY a no no.

Guest stevil

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The American Frontier:

My headers are Jet-Hot coated. After hard driving, I can park the car...and 10 minutes later grab the headers with my bare hands and they'll be cool to the touch.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have Jet-Hot coated headers too. But you wait 10 minutes? Wimp! tongue.gif:D