stand alone management

fush

OK so I am mapping out my new project and I am down to one of the final parts of it which is deciding what to do about fueling for my new motor. A little back ground. I am looking to add boost to my vr6. Turbo seems to be the way to go, but the problem is that nobody has decent software for the stock fueling system or they say they have it but wont sell it to you unless you buy their complete system and even then you dont actually get anything usable. I figure the best way to get around this is to get a stand alone system which is probablly a safer and less hacked way to go anyway. Now I'm still new to this and will probablly burn myself but then end result is a long way off which gives me plenty of time to figure out the pieces I dont quite understand yet or havent though about. What should I be looking for in a stand alone fueling system. Most of the vw guys seem to be using SDS, haltech, or TEC II. I have read the pros and cons of each, but will any one work as well as the other with proper configuration? The haltec seems to be a lot less expensive than the others. What other alternatives exist? How hard is it to tune a system like this, and am I just asking for trouble by wanting to learn to do it myself? My questions are most likley too broad and I'm sure I dont know enough yet to figure it all out I am just looking for a step in the right direction and maybe to learn a thing or two along the way.

-jeff

First off, Get ready to spend a TON of money. Stand alone isnt cheap. But, its the best way to get the potential out of your car. I have a bit of expierence with the tec-3, so if the tec 2 is similiar, go that route. Full VE tables, full monitoring, ect, very nice, but around 2500. They sponsored a car i just built, and have been extremly helpful. I might be able to get a remaned tec 2 at a reasonable cost, I plan on it for my toyoya, if I ever get there........

Guest 614Streets

Dont forget a LAP TOP , although not required , you should have one of thoose. It is very expensive to go stand alone but worth it .

The TEC 3 from electromotive is probably the best unit going but also the most money. But there are others such as Haltech , speedpro , holley , dynotuner

I have a laptop already that I for the comm software I have now so hopefully it should be up to the task for this too. I am figuring if you're going to spend the money to go with the forced induction you might as well spend the money to get the fueling right the first time and not cut any corners which could potentially lead to destroying your equipment. Does anyone have any of these systems here locally that wouldnt mind letting me take a look? I have seen a TEC II before but none of the others.

-jeff