Thunderbird Transmission

Total Sign

Here is the problem. When in OD (Automatic tranny), 1993 LX Thunderbird Coupe with a 302. When in OD, it shifts at 22-2500 even when petal is floored. Then when it would shift into 4th or OD, it goes into Neutral. When in Drive (1-3) it does the same shifting thing.

Car has 159xxx on it. Original Fluid. Think changing it might help?

I'm having a hard time understanding what it's doing, might want to reword that. But I don't know a ton about auto trannys anyways, so I might not be able to help but I'm not sure anyone is going to be able to decipher what your saying. tongue.gif

At any rate, change the filter when you change the fluid too. I got a kit when I did my talon, comes with a pan gasket and filter. And some other little filter (very large pours, looks like a screen) that I couldn't get to with just droping the pan so I didn't replace that. Yours might be a little different depending on how you tranns is set up. They should have something like that (kit) for your car I would think.

Takes a bit more work, but that's the 'right' way to do it (I guess not a whole lot more work if your tranny pan doesn't have a plug, do they all have plugs?). This will also allow you to get to the magnets and clean them off.

Guest nevarmore
If you want it to run OK for a very short time while you find a new transmission. Pour some fine sand or metal filings into the transmisson. Everything will grip really nice for about 200 miles. The sand will help it grab, but will destroy the transmission in the end. It's an old trick used by shady car dealers.