Noisy throw out bearing advice

Took the trans out, replaced 5th gear synchro, and put a NEW throwout bearing in because the old one was a little noisy... the new one is MUCH worse~ It gets better when it heats up, but is way too noisy when cold. I put grease on the contact points with the fork, and a little on the front (towards the front of the car) of the bearing, but couldn't tell where exactly the manual wanted it... these are sealed bearings right? How can I make it quiet???

I did not replace the pilot bearing because I did not have a puller for it. Mistake? Cause?

Also, though I marked and installed the driveshaft in the same orientation, I now have a bit of "gear" noise in reverse...sounds like an old ass honda like my neighbors used to have... ahh, help, I hate "fixing" my car only to have three new things wrong!

Guest relvinnian

The main point of friction on the throw out bearing is where is contacts the pressure plate. Did you grease that part properly? Did you spin the new TOB to make sure it's fine?

Are you having any problems shifting? Did you use white lithium to re-grease the pilot bearing?? You should ALWAYS replace the pilot bearing. I have a bearing removal tool you could have used, actually Tommy has it right now for his WS6.

Also, what do you mean by "gear noise" in reverse?? I don't see how driveshaft installation would have anything to do with a noise in any particular gear.

Right now, I'm leaning towards throw out bearing improperly greased. If you aren't having problems shifting, then at least the pilot and tob are doing their jobs.

Yeah, I had the same thought about the throwout bearing. If it wasn't greased enough, or at all, I'd expect it to make kinda of a racket.

Pilot bearing should have been replaced also, but I doubt that it is the cause of your problem.

The gear noise in reverse is some kind of gear whine somwhere in the tranny, I'd guess. I'm sure you'd know the inside of your tranny better than I would at this point, but reverse should be going through a set of idler gears to reverse the rotation of the output shaft. Since you don't get the whine in forwards gears, I'd think real hard about anything you did removing the idler gears or the reverse gears. Particularly anything that might have changed the CLEARANCE in the reverse gear set.

Yeah, I know the pilot bearing probably should have been replaced, but with the project going on three weeks and not knowing Brian had a puller, it didn't get changed. So~ Thankfully no, I have no gear change problems, it feels very good as far as the actual new synchro goes (yay!). Now, the bearing... I took the whole damn thing apart and I still couldn't put it all together in my head (damn pull clutches). I can see well the bearing through the access hole without taking the whole trans out.... I tried to grease it a little more the other day in this manner but it didn't work, but on the other hand I could try harder. The surface that contacts the pressure plate is the large flat portion facing the front, where there is that "release collar" to allow the bearing to pull free from the plate for trans removal... ie, there is the tob surface, thin plate, then pressure plate... should I grease both sides of that plate??? I only greased the tob itself... and should I have someone release the clutch while I do this? I used regular black auto grease... I shouldn't use lithium on this part right?? Thanks for all the help boys...

...the "whine" in reverse is a rotational, small vibration equipped thingy that feels like the driveshaft isn't lined up quite right or something, but it is, I've retorqued and measured the spec'd distance for the PPF (though the car wasn't Perfectly flat...?) Maybe you're right Mark and it's inside, 5th and reverse are together on our trannys... but damn what could this be...

1Quik7... Yeah I did it myself... three weeks and about $300 worth of synchro, bearing, upgraded shift select spindly, misc tools... the time is because it was during my free time, with no lift. It was a bitch only because of looking for tools and shitty weather/location of working. If you had a setup, it'd be easy.

Edit: Oh, yes I spun it prior and Brett can vouch that it spun very well and quietly.

[ 06 March 2002: Message edited by: 1Slow7 ]

Guest relvinnian

An easy way to find out whether it's your driveshaft or not. Go in reverse, then push the clutch in (while the car is still rolling backwards). If the noise continues with the clutch pushed in then it could be your driveshaft. If it goes away, then I'm SERIOUSLY leaning towards pilot bearing, just from what I've been reading on RX-7 forum. Honestly, even when ungreased the TOB should not make anything more than a "whining" noise when the clutch is pushed in.

I'm not sure about how bad these sounds are, but if it is indeed your pilor bearing, I would just ride it out and wait until it fails. If you're not having problems shifting, at least it's working. The whole process of changing your pilot bearing would be a total pain in the ass.

Guest 1bad66duece
are you sure its not the input bearing of the trans? do you have a vibration when driving,does it growl all the time? does it quit down if your foot is lightly pushing the clutch?

It makes the noise 1) in neutral, with the clutch engaged 2) while driving with the clutch engaged (seems quieter, but it may just be the rest of the noise drowning it out) You must be good at finding stuff on the forum Brian smile.gif

The reverse noise continues while the car is rolling backwards, with clutch disengaged. When filling the rear shift linkage case with tranny fluid I ran out, so the shift linkage was covered but it could have been higher... ~maybe this is rear bearing not having enough fluid? It seems it was always be making noise though. It also does not really change with just a little pedal pressure, seems to be just when the bearing is contacting.. further analysis?

[ 06 March 2002: Message edited by: 1Slow7 ]

Guest 1bad66duece
usally when the t-o-b is making the noise,if you lightly apply pressure to the clutch the noise will go away.if the noise is still there when the cluch is pushed i would bet its not the t-o-b.if you notice a vibration when driving in a certain gear it will most likly be an internal bearing.if it happens in 4th gear it is most likly the input bearing.

Can you post a .WAV file? lol

If the reverse noise is related to the reverse gears and idlers, it will continue whether or not the clutch is engaged, since the output shaft will still be turning. Same goes for output shaft bearings, but those should make the same noise while rolling forward as well if they are the problem.

Mark/66/Brian

From all this I conclude it is indeed the tob and that the reverse noise must be a biproduct of the new 5th gear synchro, which is tied into reverse, and that someone now isn't lined up perfectly. I will try to lube up that TOB really well... anybody got a lift? It's takes me forever after the bastards stole my floor jack, I haven't bought a new one yet. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Brian: I am going to take the trans back out probably early next week. Do you have that puller available?

The noise is getting worse, I know something's gonna go soon. We didnt have a jack to put the trans back in with, so we probably let a lot of the weight on the pilot bearing while we tried to get it lined up... didn't mean for it to happen but it probably did. This could explain why the noise got worse.. it was very slight before, I never really thought that mabye I just destroyed the pilot bearing... reading everyone's previous posts again, my 2nd to 3rd shift seems a little sloppier but it may just be because I hadn't driven the car in so long. What does everyone think? Brett listenend and thought it was coming from the rear inside the case, but I'm praying that's not what ends up being the real deal.

Rel on Joe's PC: Tommy, that's fine. Although I don't know, I've got lots of BEARINGS I need to pull so you better not use it too long ;)tongue.gif . Sorry guys I have not seen this thread in awhile. I'm sure a new pilot and throwout bearing will fix your problem. Good luck.

It is not the throwout I have determined. I hope it is the pilot, I feel that it should be. I really hope it's not in the case, but with 6" of shit on the ground today I didn't touch it. I should be done with the tool tomorrow or Wed at the latest. Is that cool???

I can buy you a different one, or repay you if you have to use it and I screwed you over. I hope I didn't!

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

Two months,a 5th gear snychro, an shiftgate spring, three internal bearings, a throwout bearing, a heat-welded pilot bearing, and a lot of cussing later, my car is ~almost back together... pray to GOD this transmission is happy! Won't be out tonight because of it, the pilot bearing was a complete disaster. Hopefully now I can let this thread die!

At this point I know why someone would spend $60,000 on a new Porsche that's no faster than my car... cause it just fucking works!