LT4 tune

ohio_wookie

i cant remember if i posted this or not, but i need help tunning my corvette. i am getting ready to install a supercharger by spring(hopefully) and i need help tuning the computer. so if anyone knows someone that can do computers or can do it themself it would be greatly appriciated.

I could help, but the software I have only works on 94-95 OBD-I computers. And the cable I have only fits with 93-94 OBD-I ports. So it's sort of complicated...

Options:

-Get LT1 Edit (VIN locked, but works with 96-97 OBD-II, ~$550), a cable ($95) and a laptop ($???). Tune it yourelf whenever you want, when you dyno, on the street, etc. Get some basic files online, tuning advice from others, etc.

-Or switch to a OBD-I PCM (~$150) and either a OBD-I port ($??) or a OBD-II cable ($95). Then I can tune everything on your car with my software, although I don't know much about forced induction yet. Best would be on the dyno, but I should have a wideband O2 by spring. Again, plenty of files online, and many people to offer tuning advice.

-Find a dyno tuning place that has the $2500 unlimited copy of LT1 Edit that isn't VIN locked, and they can professionally dynotune your car on the spot. Probably the cheapest and best option for a one time thing to get it tuned, I reccomend doing this. There is a great place up in Cleveland. The guy doing the tuning is a pro, used to work for GM. Should cost around $200 thread on COFBA about the place

From a cost standpoint, you are probably best off just going w/ the OBD-I swap and the 95 cable (95 is the one year that had OBD-II ports w/ OBD-I PCM's). You also have to swap knock sensors, but that's cake and cheap. The only time I'd say keep the OBD-II PCM was if you were running a 4L60E/4L80E with a big stall, as the OBD-I PCM's tend to have problems with that. But I assume you are running the stock ZF-6 tranny, so that isn't an issue.

As for tuning, I'm definately not one to look towards. BillumSS has some experience with it. Reckless knows a good amount of forced induction tuning. They are both more LS1 oriented, but the tuning is pretty much the same for both; with the OBD-I swap, I'd venture to say the tuning is actually a tad easier.

I have both LT1_Edit (though it's VIN locked), and Tunercat, which isn't. Both work about the same, and get the job done.