Waste gate selection

Science Abuse

Been shopping, and I've seen quite a few with "X-psi springs". Trouble is, i dont know what PSI I'll be running to get my hp goal, 400bhp. Then I find out about "TURBONETICS DELTAGATE ADJUST-A-BOOST system ( adjustable from 6-30 pounds )". Be this true? Also, I may be wanting to bypass quite a bit of exhaust starting out, will said waste gate be big enough for my 4.6?

I'm looking at this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1845408885

I'm still realy green on turbo's :rolleyes:

thanks

Eric

unless the picture isnt giving it justice, i dont think that little thing will handle what you need.

what else will you have done to get this 400hp, you might not even need to run extreme amounts of boost.

-Jono

duley noted :D Thanks guys.

The motor will be basicalky stock, it makes about 230-240bhp now, 190rwhp. the stock 4.6 cant hold more then 450 bhp, I'm shooting for 400bhp, about 320-330rwhp. Mods will be mild, throttle body, FMIC, 3" manderel exhaust, MAF, tune. Stock'like manifolds, possibly ported. The v8 will have limits, so a good wastegate is needed smile.gif

Guest MarkMyers
The TiAL 40mm is good enough. You may be able to get away with a 35mm. BTW, the WG spring pressure is simply the minimum boost you plan to run. Anything you want to run above that can be attained (if the rest of the system can support it) with a simple boost controller (manual or electronic). Their dial-a-boost is probably just a MBC. I couldn't see the pic.

Originally posted by rl:

tial tial!

deltagates suck!

your goina have a LOT of trouble making 400rwhp with the engine thats in the car now...it would take like 18-20psi! :eek:

sweet, my blow off's gunna be hella loud, and thats what matters tongue.gif hope I can keep the intake manifold together. :D

now, where can I find one of these Tials? looks like I'll need a 40mm. I've exhausted all my resourses...none on ebay :(

[ 01 August 2002, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: BlackBird ]

Originally posted by BlackBird:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by rl:

tial tial!

deltagates suck!

your goina have a LOT of trouble making 400rwhp with the engine thats in the car now...it would take like 18-20psi! :eek:

sweet, my blow off's gunna be hella loud, and thats what matters tongue.gif hope I can keep the intake manifold together. :D

now, where can I find one of these Tials? looks like I'll need a 40mm. I've exhausted all my resourses...none on ebay :( </font>

www.midnight-performance.com

shoot them an email/call them telling them what you need

Guest ST RACE

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by rl:

tial tial!

deltagates suck!

your goina have a LOT of trouble making 400rwhp with the engine thats in the car now...it would take like 18-20psi!

LIFE STARTS AT 20 PSI

Guest MarkMyers

I finally saw the pics. That's a standard WG with what looks like your standard GReddy TVVC type boost manual boost controller hooked up. Whether the WG works or not depends on the turbo, etc. If your turbo is pretty large for your application, you can get by with a slightly smaller WG since not as much of the exhaust needs bypassed. I personally wouldn't risk it. OTOH, I have a TiAL 40mm with .9 bar spring (easily interchangeable) that I can get to you anytime for $400 (EDIT: forgot to mention it's new-in-box and ~2 weeks old). This includes flanges necessary to weld pipe to it, etc. BTW, you could also look at the smaller TiAL as well. If you are venting to atmo, it will help you get by with a smaller WG as well.

[ 07 August 2002, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: MarkMyers ]