supercharger information

stealthmonkey

Are you putting a SC on a turbocharged stealth?

just get some faster spooling turbos.

Its very hard to rig a "switch" to the SC. some have made a clutch of sorts to turn it on and off, very complex and very difucult to do.

have you asked this question on 3si.org??

I know some company on there makes a SC kit for NA stealths/3000gt's

Whats your user name on there?

I dont really have that much knowledge about superchargers. I can get faster spooling turbos. but there has never been a TT with a small supercharger. Well the stealth I own now is not getting any more mods in it. The next one I buy I am going to do alot of custom work on it. If you know these cars. They have no lower end power. Once you hit third what ever you are going against you will own it. I am looking to add something *non nitrous* to get that lower end power like an eclips or such from. Anyways, these are just theories and thoughts maybe on day be blueprinted and made from a dream into a concept.

Originally posted by stealthmonkey:

I can get faster spooling turbos. but there has never been a TT with a small supercharger.

there's a reason for that, actualy, a few :rolleyes:

A: where the hizzel you gunna fit that thing?

B: it would do nothing but be different. Keep in mind, you're blowing air from 2 power adders into one. The blow would have to be big, in order to not be a restriction at high RPMs. YOu turbos won't be able to outflow the SC, and the SC wont be able to outflow the TTs. At that point, you might as well get rid of the TTs because they are an exhaust restiction, the suprcharger would already be supporting the power. A supercharger on turbo setup is very hard to get running right, and in the end, its realy futile. After the money you'll asking yourelf "why didn't I just spray a wet shot to 2000 rpm?"

• 2 weeks later...

IMHO, with the experience I have with dragracing blowers, you cannot run the engine without the blower. A good one will pump air when running and be a restriction when it isn't. The very nature of the beast is that you always have it on. I agree with the turbos blocking the exhaust comment made in an earlier thread. If you want more bottom end power you need more bottom end IE more cubic inches (not centimeters).

At 572 inches we don't see any lag anywhere in the power curve.

Is your car a stick or auto? I haven't ben on this board long enough to know as much, but the people I know with bottom end problems

just skip the bottom end altogether, usually with a high stall convertor for an auto or a mean shift with a stick. Just my two cents.

Eli

What you want is a sequential turbocharging system like a Supra or RX-7. Unfortunately, engineering one might be more expensive than simply buying a car that has one.

There have been some experiments on what you are trying to do -- it is called "twincharging", and there are a few websites out there describing it. I'm not aware of any that I'd call 100% sucessful just yet that were home done. HKS did a turbo kit some years back for the Supercharged MR2 (the reverse of what you are wanting to do), which I don't know too much about. It's been off the market for a while

Theoretically speaking, you'd probably want to blow the supercharger output into the turbo intake, but also have a one-way bypass valve (maybe some kind of reed valve) to allow the turbo to draw air in when it surpasses the flow capacity of the supercharger. There should be no need to declutch the supercharger in that case. This would also allow you to run the air from both the supercharger and turbo through the same intercooler.

If you did it the other way around, by blowing the turbo output into the supercharger, you would run into two problems: first, the turbo compressor housing would be an inlet restriction, and second, the turbo boost would possibly have a tendency to blow past the seals of a roots-type blower.

Search Google for twincharging and you'll find some people who have tried it.