Help - instrument and electronic people

Guest Tony_K

Okay, now I am repairing a speedometer for someone. The thin shaft that the needle attaches to is broken. It is about as thick as an earring post. I need a sleeve to put over it that is roughly the size of a watch band attaching pin, and an industrial grade epoxy to bond the broken halves of th pin back together inside the sleeve.

1) Does anyone have a better suggestion?

2) Can someone point me in the direction as where to go to size up a sleeve, and where to find an instrument-grade metal bonding epoxy?

or

3) Does anyone know someone who does this kind of work locally?

Thanks.....

Tony

89 Porsche 944. Speedo is specific to that year, and spares are hard to come by and expensive enough to warrant fixing this one. Brand of gauge is VDO - not the cheapest in the world.

This is too fine a job for JB-weld, as much as I love that stuff. Need a liquid epoxy specific for bonding metals.

I have a friend who builds groundwater and nuclear reactor testing/measuring device prototypes at GE Power Systems in Twinsburg, Ohio. I gave it to him, and he is going to machine a sleeve and do the deed, hopefully..

Thanks,

Tony

Originally posted by GAS,GRASS,OR,ASS:

if its round autometer makes a replacement thats the right size. if your buddy can't fix it check out hemmings motor news there should be a few companies that advertise fixing speedometers and clocks.

good luck

Thanks Dave,

yeah, I am familiar with Palo Alto and have encountered a couple of others over the years. The goal here is to repair this one cheap or free - all that's broken is a thin metal needle. Rest of it works great. Trying *not* to blow $100-250 for a simple fix. smile.gif Might end up using one from an earlier year - they are almost identical, and a GPS and voltmeter should be all we need to calibrate it... ..but I'll see what my buddy at GE can do. He works with much more delicate stuff--should be no problem for him...