import rebuild

Guest Porterhouse

Guest Porterhouse
after 164k, my beater Nissan needs some rings. i am thinking that the factory metric rings may not have tore up the hone. i really want to avoid doing the whole motor....after all it is a beater. any thoughts?

Guest Porterhouse
i have looked into that, hard to find a 1.6L with less than 100K, and seems to be when the rings take a dump. it is kinda cool now though, it will smoke a bit until it warms up and seals things up....you would think it has a set of King bearings in it.

Originally posted by bigbabyjesus:

Do a leakdown test. If it stops smoking after the car warms up chances are good that the valve seals are just bad.

Ding Ding Ding....and if that's the case....I'd say screw it.

My Blazer has a small valve-seal leak. Smokes a little on startup, but that's it. Doesn't burn enough oil to ever have to come close to adding any, so no point in fixing it.

Guest Porterhouse

actually, valve stem seals was where i started, they surprisingly looked good. most entertaining part was using the spring compresser used on a set of Victor heads on the Nissan/Bic ballpoint pen springs.

that kind of self-torture shows how small my learning curve can be.