help! vibration at highway speeds

Guest gimpy21

Guest gimpy21

alright guys, i need some help before i got totally insane...... a few weeks ago i was driving on 270 and stepped into the gas and i noticed a virbration in the front passenger side of my car... i figured since my CV was clicking in turns that the CV had finally given up... so i changed that.... it cut down on the intensity of the virbration and it stoped clicking in turns, whoopdy freakin doo..... so now i still have this damn virbration and it keeps getting worse, i went out today and spent 100$ a new bearing in hope that the bearing is the rest of my problems.... on the way home from international auto i got to thinking, if the bearing was going bad wouldnt i hear a grinding instead of feeling a vibration????? so i started to poke around everything and there is a noticeable amount of play in the suspension somewhere, with the tire on i can move it in and out just a bit... so my new theroy is maybee a lower or upper ball joint going bad????

now, my question is, do you guys think that it is the bearing, or maybee the ball joint??? someone please help me before i go nuts!!! and hopefully i can get this fixed before tonight, cause i want to be in the hooters cruise tonight if at all possible....

thanks guys!!!

-Brandon

When you move tug on the wheel and notice play, is it when you pull on the top and the bottom of the wheel? Or when you tug with one hand on front and one towards the back?

The wheel would give when tugging top to bottom if you have a ball joint or a-arm bushings worn out.

The wheel would give when tugging at 3 o'clock and nine o'clock if you had a tie rod or rack and pinion worn out.

I would say the wheel would have play in it in all positions if you had a bearing going out.

You would feel slop in the steering if you had a rack and pinion or tie rod going out.

Summary-

I think you either have a combination of problems, that being a wheel out of balance, bent, or something and one of the above mentioned problems.

I may be wrong, but take a look at all of these and find the problem before you go buying any more parts.

Guest gimpy21

thanks guys! my wheel isnt out of balance i dont think, i just had new tires put on about 3 months ago... so unless some of the wheights fell off then i dont think it is out of balacne....

and i can feel the play when i pull and tug from the 12 o'clock, and the 6 o'clock positions....

Originally posted by Gimpy21:

thanks guys! my wheel isnt out of balance i dont think, i just had new tires put on about 3 months ago... so unless some of the wheights fell off then i dont think it is out of balacne....

and i can feel the play when i pull and tug from the 12 o'clock, and the 6 o'clock positions....

u have custom wheels tape weights suck sometimes, get them rebalanced, its free u lazy fool! since u got hte tires at discount, bring it up to my store we don't usually have a wait, unlike easton. i work all day tomorrow ;)

Guest gimpy21
Originally posted by Salt-Truck-Chaser:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Gimpy21:

u have custom wheels tape weights suck sometimes, get them rebalanced, its free u lazy fool! since u got hte tires at discount, bring it up to my store we don't usually have a wait, unlike easton. i work all day tomorrow ;) </font>tight, i might take you up on that just to see im in fact my tire is out of balance.... :rolleyes: which i dont think it is, but oh well... i have nothing better to do so ill bother you.... :D

If it were the wheel bearing it would more than likely be making noise. Rotate the tires, just becuase they are new doesn't mean that one of them isn't bad. If you have them rebalanced, ask if you can watch. Look at the tire as it's spinning to see if it wobbles. If so the tire is going to vibrate like mad becuase there is a slipped belt, some other defect in the tire, or the wheel is bent. If you can somehow watch the actual wheel spin, you should be easily able to tell if the wheel is bent. Hope that helps.

[ 06 December 2002, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: bigbabyjesus ]

Guest gimpy21
but the thing is..... the vibration is only there when im on the gas, as soon as i left off the gas it goes away..... and tonight i could feel it at really low speed, felt like a flat spot in a bearing or something.....

If your still having a vibration problem..go to NTB on billingsly in dublin(i think that's how you spell it)and ask for Todd. Bald black fella. Tell him Vila sent you. Just tell him your problem. It's a free inspection. Doesn't hurt..just takes time.

if you have play in the wheel then it is not simply a tire or rim, well unless the rim is not tightened down correctly, have you retorqued them since you had the new tires put on?

Im going to put my guess on a wheel bearing.

You get a really loud vibration when they're first going bad. If they start grinding or making any kind of metal on metal sound (clunking,scraping,etc) then its really bad, but seems like you can catch in time.

If your ball joint and tie rod are greaseable, make sure they have grease in them ;) cause they make some noise if they go dry.

-Jono