turbo to manifold coming loose

fush

I am having trouble with my turbo coming loose from the exhaust manifold. The kit I got sent some shady bolts with it and they wont stay tight.

I think it may have something to do with the downpipe and placement of the flex piece in it causing it to vibrate loose but I am not totally convinced. I've never seen how a factory turbo car manifold looks so I have nothing to go on but I think using studs in place of the bolts may help.

Can anyone recommend a place I could buy some studs? I am thinking if I use those with some lock washers copper nuts and high heat loctite I may be able to rememdy the problem.

Also any other recommendations on what to do to keep this thing together would be appreciated? Thanks.

-jeff

Not sure about your specific application, however, with DSM's, if you dont have a bolt holding the downpipe to the block, having the turbo come loose is a common problem. I guess the unsupported weight and fluxuations in temp. (and of course vibration) cause the studs/nuts and bolt to come loose (dsm's use three studs and one bolt).

So you are saying that the down pipe bolts to the block as well as to the turbo to help curb vibration? Dont happen to have a picture by any chance do you?

If thats the case I may be able to modify the downpipe so I can bolt it to the back of the block to provide more support. Here is a pic of what the setup looks like.

http://palpatine.infinitedata.net/~jweber/turbo.gif

Thanks for the reply.

-jeff

before I had even cracked the bolts in the T25, I put on the 3" turbo back exhaust and forgot to put in the groundstrap/downpipe-to-block bolt and the T25 came seperated from the manifold. I put the 16G on, this time bolting the downpipe with no seperation/loosening.

Maybe my t25 was already loose, but I've heard other complaints/comments about that downpipe bolt, and turbo's coming loose.

Originally posted by RSXX-7105:

From your picture, it looks like getting a larger turbo may help the vibration problem too...heheh :D j/k looks like a nice setup!

K

A bigger turbo has clearance issues. :( Everyone I talked to running the t3/t4 setup had to hammer in the firewall to get it to fit half way decent. Oh well when the time comes for the vr to get a turbo it should have something a little bigger. smile.gif

-jeff