Problem with Bosch by-pass valve...

BDHG940

When I start the car up, air is pouring out the valve into the atmosphere. Anyone have any idea of what is going on with it? The car has sat for about 2 months if that might have anything to do with it. I took it off and really can't do much with it but visually inspect it.

The Bosch valve is not designed to be open to the atmosphere. With the car at idle, it will have enough vacuum to pull the valve plunger open, and suck air in. This is ok if the valve is routed back to the intake tract as it should be. If it is open to the atmosphere though, this is bad because that is air not seen by your MAF, and obviously it is not filtered either. What car is this on?

Thats why its called a bypass valve, its meant to bypass air under vacuum. With supercharger applications it keeps pressure from building up between the throttle body and compressor (like your car). Route that thing back so that its dumping air after the air meter before the blower. Dumping the bypass to the atmosphere on your car will do a lot of very bad things.

(Renner I need to get ahold of you...I need porsche help) :D

Thing is that the bypass valve is before the mass air meter. This has never done this before and noticed it right away, excessive air noise under the hood. The way the pipes are routed for the intercooler and it being before the MAF, I believed you could vent to the atmosphere? Basically, do I need a new one does it sound like. The application is on my friends 99 cobra you all know. RL, I see you have a shop, do you sell any replacements?

Originally posted by BDHG940:

Thing is that the bypass valve is before the mass air meter. This has never done this before and noticed it right away, excessive air noise under the hood. The way the pipes are routed for the intercooler and it being before the MAF, I believed you could vent to the atmosphere? Basically, do I need a new one does it sound like. The application is on my friends 99 cobra you all know. RL, I see you have a shop, do you sell any replacements?

Ohhh, its on a procharger car, I thought it was on a vortech car. Nope, I dont sell replacements, IPS motorsports however does, see renners sig.

Guest mudbutt
even when mounted pre maf, the design of the bosch valve was not intended for atmospheric venting. Either route it back pre supercharger, or get a valve that is meant to be vented like a hks, greddy, tial, etc.

This is actually on a 99 cobra(everyone's friend), and its a Paxton. I will let him know that he need to just buy a new one, but don't think he will want the blow-off valve noise. Plus there really isn't any other way to route the thing.