Mustang Throttle bodies

Guest larz

Anyone have real performance gaines from going from a 75mm to An 80mm or even a 90mm. I'm looking for real mph numbers. I'm running 10.80's at 121mph currantly. I'm looking for more mph and of course e.t. as well!

I'm not looking for the flame post, i'm sure you honda can keep up! LARZ

Originally posted by larz:

Anyone have real performance gaines from going from a 75mm to An 80mm or even a 90mm. I'm looking for real mph numbers. I'm running 10.80's at 121mph currantly. I'm looking for more mph and of course e.t. as well!

I'm not looking for the flame post, i'm sure you honda can keep up! LARZ

Whats the combo? Thats going to make a big difference.

Going to something as big as a 90mm on a NA motor making 400rwhp is going to do nothing but kill throttle response, combo makes a big deal.

Do you still run NMRA OC or are you building a heads up car?

My combo is a completely legal NMRA renegade NOS set. I would guess the 360ci makes 550 to 600 on the motor. It went 10.87 @ 112 (on the brakes) @ BG race. I going to run Open comp next year. Thanks LR _will not be running the NOS though...Totally N/A ....LR

You think its making 550-600hp and its only trapping 121? With that kind of power you should be trapping 125+ and going low 10's.

You probably wouldnt see a gain going to a 75mm+ throttle body.

The 5.0L motors usually got a decent benefit when going to a 65mm T/B over the stock 60mm T/B.

On the 4.6L, a larger T/B over the stock 65mm generally LOSES horsepower. If anything you'll break even and in many cases it causes bad idle, and rough throttle response.

What is CFM? I know it's like how much air the throttle body can flow, but what do the actually letters mean? I was looking at throttle bodies for the '03 Cobra and I found CFM numbers, some much higher than others and was just wondering what they meant and would it be better to have higher or lower CFM.

This is a good topic, Id like to see real world results from my own tests, not a magazines. On a fuel injected system, I cant see where as you can go too big on a TB. Even on carbs its not the size that kills anything, Its the metering of the fuel that gets the lazy response. since a carb meters fuel a too big of one will not allow the air and fuel to be metered right. The only thing I can see is part thorttle and exagerating here like 90mm throttle body at 50% throttle is like a 65mm tb at 75%, just hard to modulate the part throttle speed.