VR6 mods

jetta2NV

What do you already have done to your car is the first question?

Is it a 5spd or an auto?

Also what are your goals? Boost may not be needed if you just want to pep things up a bit.

If its still stock you might as well start where everyone does and hit up the handling mods.

If you just want to pep your car up some you can do the easy things. Exhaust, chip, intake, cams. People seem to make about 150whp on stock dynos and after these mods you see them near 175whp. Look to spend about 1500 in parts on this stuff. Don't waste your money on a bvh, or a schrick or ported manifold. The costs of those don't out weigh the gains.

For boost you could get away with turboing your car for ~2500 if you're a deal hawk and hit everything at just the right time. The only problem here is there are a lot of things you should upgrade before you go turbo. The most important thing to remember that the diff in your transmission likes to shear rivets off under high torque, and even if you replace those rivets with arp bolts then your diff may explode. :( It's pretty much a requirement to replace the stock diff with a nice aftermarket atb diff. I recommend peloquin. http://www.peloquins.com/ Someone is selling their setup on the vortex for 662 shipped, and thats quite a deal.

Just some things to think about. Good luck and its nice to see some other vw owners on here.

Also you spelled volkswagen wrong in your profile. ;)

Guest mudbutt
Originally posted by Ricochet:

Aren't the '99 VR6's 200hp? If so how in the world is there a 25% drivetrain loss on a fwd car?

Jetta2NV I'd get suspension first. My only dislikings in new vw's is their stock 4x4 setup graemlins/gay.gif . That, a chip, an intake and exhaust (which sound outstanding on the VR6's) should keep you happy for a while.

He said jetta 3, IIRC there was a transition in 99 where early 99 were mk3 cars(170ish bhp). THe exhaust on those cars is actually more than sufficient stock, I believe it is 2.25" Just adding an intake to thim will make for a hella mean sound and a nice gain. A friend of mine has a 98 gti with gaic chip and intake. It isnt blistering fast, but it is VERY VERY fun, especially "in the twisties" since he has suspension and brake upgrades also.

It's my understanding all 12v vr6 engines were rated 174bhp. Even those in the mkIV bodies. The new 24v vr6 engines are the ones rated at 200bhp and the r32 3.2L engine is rated at 240bhp. The dynos for most 12v stock cars are in the 150-155whp range. Its also been shown that the motors make more power on a 2.5" exhaust if you're staying N/A to the tune of about .2 in the 1/4 mile. You can read the big debates on the vortex but .2 in the quarter mile consistantly wins my vote to run the 2.5". I think the stock exhaust is around 2 1/8" atleast thats what it was on my corrado.

My vote if you decide to stay n/a would be cat 268* cams a 2.5" techtonics exhaust a giac 268 chip and a turn 2 intake. Maybe throw the turn 2 crank pulley on there too while you're at it since its cheap. Turn 2 motor mount setup also makes a world of difference. It should be a pretty fun car then.

IM gonna agree with what jeff has to say on this one. Get the chip and exhaust 2.5 if you're gonna stay unboosted. As for intake if you dont want to spring for the turn 2 you can make one using a civic intake pipe and a k&n filter. chip and cams would be sweet as well as the pulley. Get some stickier tires and a nice suspension and have a good ole time.

The 99' and up 12v vr6 were rated with more horsepowere due to the plastic variable manifold that they came with versus the original big aluminum one they changed nothing else and actual gains are minimal.

As for your 25% drivetrain loss statement. VW underates the power of their vehicles instead of lieing like most companies tongue.gif thats why mine dynoed out at 157hp and not 130ish graemlins/gives.gif though since i blew mine up anyways