L67 guys/gals- gasket question

Dave1647545494

went to the local auto parts today to price out a felpro head gasket kit pn- HS9089PT1 HD SET they want 268.00 for it the same kit from gm pn- 12539091 is 68.00 do the gm gaskets suck or what?

I only want to do this once. intense has head gaskets listed for 168.00 for a pair that seems high to me. I guess what I want to know is what kind of gasket do you use if you've changed it and how is it working?

GM gaskets are probably made by felpro, either way they dont suck. Intense MLS gaskets are very strong but DONT NOT USE THEM WITH 1.9 ROCKERS. They kinda rub the shit out of your push rods. I have 4 push rods to prove it. If you dont want to fork out the cash for the intense ones get GMs or Felpro. What are you replacing your head gaskets for, did u blow one?

For high power/high boost the INTENSE MLS gaskets rock. That's what I run. graemlins/thumb.gif

The GM gaskets are just fine for a moderatly modded motor. I dunno why the Felpro's are so expensive but they are no better than the stock GM gaskets.

Remeber Dave you can NOT reuse the head bolts, they are TTY bolts. Price the head bolts from GM, for just a bit more you can get our head stud kit. They are awesome. Also, just in case you have to pull the heads off again they are reusable.

Another note, you will need new rocker bolts as they are also TTY. We have a rocker install kit that includes everything you need to do the rockers. I recommend that also.

Why are you pulling the heads off? :confused:

Originally posted by boostedgtp:

Intense MLS gaskets are very strong but DONT NOT USE THEM WITH 1.9 ROCKERS. They kinda rub the shit out of your push rods. I have 4 push rods to prove it.

This problem has been taken care of.

I'm changing the gaskets becuase I'm replacing the heads with a set of ported ones :D . the gm and felpro kits include all the bolts. I don't have the extra cash to stud the heads right now and we aren't running (in my opinon) enough boost yet to make them worth it. if there are any maintenence type items that are easier to get to with the heads off let me know.

thanks for the replies

Hey chris if intense wants to sponsor a Riviera let me know.... graemlins/bubbrubb.gif

Originally posted by Chunk:

We? Sounds like you're sponsored tongue.gif (Clubgp)..

graemlins/trout.gif

Ummm no I work for them. You know this. :confused:graemlins/slap.gif

Dave: The only thing I can say on the self-ported heads is that I hope they are done by someone that knows what they are doing and are flowed before and after to make sure that they will not make the car slower. If you are doing them yourself with a dremel I HIGHLY advise against it. Also make sure that whoever is doing it knows how to get more CFM while KEEPING THE VELOCITY UP. That is key. You can have heads that flow 600CFM but aren't worth shit if the velocity sucks. Like I said, make sure they are flowed. Lots of people get budget ported L67 heads and then get pissed when the motor makes less power. Removing metal does not automatically = power.

these are custom ported heads from a wrecked car(supposedly) that the guy sold on ebay cause his insurance replaced everything. I'm goin to take them up to M&M to get flowed and checked for cracks when they come in.

heres the heads

http://i16.ebayimg.com/02/i/00/f0/3d/0a_1.JPG

http://i18.ebayimg.com/02/i/00/ef/7f/d2_1.JPG

http://i8.ebayimg.com/02/i/00/ef/da/c8_1.JPG

http://i14.ebayimg.com/02/i/00/ef/d2/44_1.JPG

http://i12.ebayimg.com/02/i/00/ef/e9/01_1.JPG

I'd have to see them in person to really judge.

You should have the intake flowed 28" of water, clay radius to repeat and the exhaust 28" of water, 1.75" pipe to repeat, from .100" to .600". PM me the flow numbers at every interval and I'll help you compare them to stock.

If I may ask, who was it that you purchaed them from and where are they from?

Originally posted by GAS,GRASS,OR,ASS:

I believe his name is tim(tom) wright from witchita kansas I bought the heads on ebay

No no no no no NO NO NO NO NO NOT FUCKING TOM! Jesus, he is a scammer. I'm sorry Dave, but I do not believe you are going to make any power with those heads and you will probably lose some. Tom is a fucking moron... I know him quite well.

All I can say is get them flowed and hope for the best. :(

reprogram the ECU cam headers bigger blower beef up the trans ..........

depends on when she decides its fast enough if the heads are shitty I'll just have them ported or sell them to someone else who needs a core for what I paid for them I'm not getting ripped it sucks that the guy is a scammer but oh well thats ebay for ya