Any Audi/VW techs or experts out there?

Moe7

well the owner before me used Mobile one tranny fluid.. and from doing a bit of research i found out that we are only supposed to use the Audi dealer supplied fluid (mineral based??) in our tiptronic trannys. Our trannys are supposedly sealed units but a lot of people change the fluid around my mileage anyway and it helps quite a bit (60k). i'm just trying to figure out what kind of damage (if any) having the mobile one fluid fluid in there will cause. i am already planning on getting the fluid replaced at the dealer in a few months but i was just looking for some reassurance that i wasn't hurting my tranny till then. the fluid has already been in there for about 2k miles and it shifts/drives perfectly fine. new trannys are ridiculously $$$ installed so i want to be sure i'm not doing any permanent damage. i think i'll call the dealer tommorow but i'm pretty sure i know what they'll say..

I think I can answer this, even if some of my information isn't 100% accurate.

I have been warened away from Mobile 1 syth in a lot of different trannies. I have heard it is because that these particular trannys use Brass (?) syncros. This includes the V160 MKIV Supra transmission.

Supposidly the Mobile 1 can damage the brass.

Supposidly some other fluids cause swelling of transmission seals on the V160 as well, but I have never heard of this in other transmissions.

I wish I could find the link where I read that... it may have even been for the Ford Probe 2.5l transmission.

Regardless, only 2k miles I doubt it caused any major issues. Just put some dealer recommended fluid in it.

HTH,

Howard