vtec controler

Black ITR Guy

i know im probably gonna get alot of crap from alot of guys on this one but im gonna ask anyways cuz i have been wonderin this for awhile. im thinking about buying an apexi vtec controler, and i was wondering about how hard it was to tune.

and what rpm should i set it to engage at. now i know everyone isnt blessed with vtec so this kinda only goes out to the import guys, but im sure the domestic men will to let me know what they think about vtec. thats ok cuz im new and i prob deserve.

Nope, we're pretty laid back around here. You make get some sarcastic comments from people, but it's all in jest, so take it as welcoming humor.

Now, if you're a tool, then you'll get the meanness :D

Anyways, I haven't the first clue about VTEC controllers, so I can't help you. But we have plenty of Honda owners and import tuners around here, so someone can help.

BTW, did you check the Tech Library yet? That's the archives for all tech topics since the near beginning of CR. If it ain't in there, it hasn't been asked smile.gif

Originally posted by BLACK ITR GUY:

i know im probably gonna get alot of crap from alot of guys on this one but im gonna ask anyways cuz i have been wonderin this for awhile. im thinking about buying an apexi vtec controler, and i was wondering about how hard it was to tune.

and what rpm should i set it to engage at. now i know everyone isnt blessed with vtec so this kinda only goes out to the import guys, but im sure the domestic men will to let me know what they think about vtec. thats ok cuz im new and i prob deserve.

The Apexi Unit is not difficult to tune, but as with any fuel type tuning, it should be done with a wideband, and preferably on a dyno.

Not 100% on the optimum setting for the VTEC switchover, I would assume that would depend on supporting mods.

HTH,

Howard

Welcome...hope you have a good sense of humor!

My friend has one and its pretty easy to tune, just have to play around with it. I think you can have VTEC engaged as low as 4500 rpms...could be wrong, I don't have one yet...

I have one for sale if someone wants it $185 (couple of marks on it, nothing big). Have directions and box. Super easy to tune with, and I think you can go as low as 4000 on vtec. Not sure now though. I had mine set at 4600 in the CRX.

Guest drifter

I TOLD U JUST BUY IT AND THERE WILL BE NO PROBLEM graemlins/popcorn.gif

to be honest with you i totally forgot about that model. it controls fuel air and vtec. do you think that would be better for my car?

I don't know how much the air/fule part will help you right now or how the vtec controler is compared to others (although I don't see how any of them can be much different as long as they work).

It was just a thought that poped into my mind, it just seems like upwards of 150 is alot to pay for something like that. The electronics of the idea seem like the should be Very simple.

Hopefully some honda guys that have used both will chime in soon.

Originally posted by SHIEF:

Whatever ^^^

Yeah you can make vtec engage whenever you want just by the push of a toggle switch button, but that would (and was) getting anoying and graemlins/gay.gif

I got vtec button YAYYY...I got vtec button YAYYY!

Yeah, becuase I was talking about making just a button. :rolleyes:

A V-AFC will do very little good without other supporting mods. You set the Vtec switchover point at the RPM of which the transition will be the smoothest. If you notice a big "jump" when it engages, you havent set the engagement point to the optimal RPM. The best way (realy only proper way) to tune it is on the dyno with a wideband as previously stated.

Ok well I'll wait for 'Neo's stand alone' tongue.gif

If I owned a car that had vtec (yo) I'd make one, but since I don't, there's no need. Hell, I would probably have 3 bucks in parts in something like that and could sell it to ricers at a barging basement price of 100 bucks. How's that for a tongue.gif

Make one for a 240 as well. tongue.gif

Now you're actually getting funny. graemlins/nutkick.gif

Trust me, I was thinking about the 'extra' features I'd build into a unit such as this, and trust me, you don't want me building and selling anything like this.

One of my better thoughts last night was this. VTEC 'kicks' in and the unit has a speaker. Me making a really bad impression of someone with a JDM Accent®. "VTEC just kicked in YO! HOLD ON!"

I was also thinking since the cheapest place to get parts and assemble things is over in china that it's close enough to Japan so I could label it as JDM ... yo. Or maybe I could make a new market and call it CDM®.

VANOS>VTEC

UBB superscript doesn't work and I don't know HTML... that= graemlins/gay.gif

Your going in the right direction. You get the parts from China, then send them to Mexico (or the southern US), pay some mexicans $1.13/hour to build these vtec boxes. Instead of the speaker saying "vtec yo shizzle, etc." Have it come on and go "I got Vtec YAYY" then have some neons flash around the outside of the box, with the Ja Rule F&F song in the background. graemlins/bubbrubb.gif

you're not going to gain much by changing it..maybe a little below the normal engagement point..but how handy is that? the big benefit to vtec controllers is the ability to raise the engagement point with extra lumpy cams. at one time i had a swapped hatch(b18c1) well i installed some pretty aggressive cams, and after the airfuel was straightened out i actually lost power after engagement. i might've been able to get it back with ignition tuning ,but i didn't have anything capable of adjusting timing in specific parts of the band. so i just raised the engagement point and everything came out ok.hope that helps.