LT1's F.A.S.T. stand alone

BeyondAddiction

Guest stevil
Originally posted by Saint:

just curious to know more about this, nick told me it replaces the optispark and makes tuning a lot easier, so i was wondering what else it does and how reliable it is or will it need fixed/replaced just as often as the optispark?

It replaces the factory PCM, not just the Opti. It's alot easier to tune, etc. Great for FI cars too, since programming for boost with a stock PCM is sort of tough I guess.

And I don't know if it totally ditches the Opti, it might use half of it, just for the cam. Maybe it uses some other sensor, not sure... don't know how it's setup. Costs over $1K I think, and nobody around here has it that I know of.

Search on www.CamaroZ28.com in the LT1 Tech section, or the Advanced Tech section. Lots of LT1 info there, and guys on there using FAST. ;)

Matt, do a search on CZ28's advanced forum (do a search, don't post...this has been covered before).

You can run FAST, DFI, and a couple fast guys are also running MotoTec (more expensive though).

You really are listening to much to internet garbage; the Opti isn't that bad. Hell, George Baxter was still using it on his 1200 HP Supercharged 383. He was using it for cam positioning only (the low voltage side), and using I belive coil packs for actual plug firing. You can now buy the LPCC converter to run LS1 coil packs w/ the Optispark.

It is also possible to run a cam-sync device in place of the Opti (with aftermarket PCM of course), but it really isn't necessary. The Opti isn't as bad as some want to make it out to be. Also, you really need to have a pretty heafty motor before an aftermarket PCM becomes necessary; the LT1 PCM is a pretty capable piece. There are ass-loads of 10 second LT1's running re-programed factory PCM's....I believe there are a few in the 9's still running the factory PCM as well.

And for the record, you CAN run a conventional distributor w/ an LT1...problem is, the factory PCM WILL NOT work without the Optispark. It requires the low-voltage sync pulses to fire the injectors. I'm not positive if that is true with the 92-93 Speed density, batch fire LT1's.

Regardless, unless you have a pretty intense LT1, you are wasting your money going to an aftermarket PCM.

i was just asking because nick told me about it

on the V8RX7 board they mentioned about something that uses part of the optispark to do cam position while using the LS1 coil packs, right now im still planning on going with an LS1, i was just curious about it, i try to know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little

Originally posted by Saint:

on the V8RX7 board they mentioned about something that uses part of the optispark to do cam position while using the LS1 coil packs

That was the LTCC thing I was talking about. It isn't cheap, but makes for a mean ignition setup.