ignition problem

Lustalbert

first, the background:

307 olds, bone stock, Running holley 750 squarebore and an accel billetproof distributor as the only mods.

Problem: i just installed a msd 6 ignition module. runs fine at part throttle, but wont idle for shit. the gap in my ditributor between the magnetetic pickup and the rotor is correct. When i go below 1200 rpm, it sounds like it is missing on 3 or so cylinders, rythmicly like it is the same cylinders.

when i attach the tach to the output on the msd, it bounces ~300 rpm when it is trying to idle. When i connect the tach to the output of the distributor, i get the same reading. It clears up above 1200 at both conections.

It is wired up properly, so i am at a loss for ideas. It still runs fime when i go back to just the coil and distributor.

any idas would be helpfull, or if you know of any compatibility problems.

Thanks

Andrew

[ 29 December 2002, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: Lustalbert ]

Guest Columbusrcpilot
Hey it almost sounds like you might have a bad ground somewhere. Mine did that when I put a new ignition coil on. You might want to check those out. Hope that might help you out.

On the MSD we have on the altered we had a similar problem. Ran with some throttle, wouldn't idle. We had a box that had some "extra features" that we didn't use. I don't remember what they where for, anyway, we had to put blanking resistors in the extra slots and turn that part of the box off. Once we did that, all was well.