Convertible Conversion

Guest SuperBeast

Guest SuperBeast
Just an idea right now, but I am thinking of converting the car in my sig. to a convertible. I saw a nice custom job in a mag. and liked the look. Any helpfull links would be nice.

Originally posted by FoundOnRoadDriving:

Your car is gonig to be heavier and not as stiff if you cut your top off.

heavier? :confused: It definitely wouldn't be as stiff. I would think it would take an excellent body guy to custom build a convert w/out making it look silly.. But I'll shut up since my post isn't helping any. smile.gif Good luck.

Guest neonfink
Originally posted by FoundOnRoadDriving:

Your car is gonig to be heavier and not as stiff if you cut your top off.

How do you mean heavier? From reinforcment you'll need from taking the top off?

I cant think it would be that cheap to do either.. not worth it if you ask me. Keep that as a go car and get a drop-top for crusin.

Yeah, heavier. You're going to need to reenforce the crap out of your frame to keep the car from folding in half, let alone surviving a wreck. If you look in my dash (i saw it when i replaced my gauges) there is a huge metal tube. the tube alone looks like it weighs over 200 pounds. There's also extra reenforcement frame type stuff elsewhere on the body.

My vert stang weighs more than a coupe stang by a couple hundred pounds. I just think of it as free weight on the tires. ;)

I can't remember; are 2nd Gens Unibodys or full-framed?? I know 1st gens are full framed, and 3rd gens are unibodys, but can't remember on the 2nd gens.

If it is a full frame car, I don't think there would be a big need for reinforcement of the frame. My biggest concern would be the A-pillars.

If he's got any torque at all, and he cuts that much frame off, he is going to twist the frame. The car will more than likely start to sag too. There is no possible way that that much of the frame (and that is a very important section of frame) can be cut off with out reenforcement. if it isn't reenforced, it will be very very bad.