Car Problem (fixed)

CobraKevin

From the beginning...

Went to see LOTR again with some buddies tonight at Easton. On my way home, I turned left at the light heading toward 270 S when a Civic comes flyin around the corner. I give it a little bit of gas in 2nd gear, but let him in front of me onto the onramp. He guns in on the onramp, I follow suit (though in 6th gear now). Probably doing about 80-90mph in 6th at the bottom of the ramp, I downshifted to 4th quickly in order to accelerate fast enough to blow right by him instead of the gradual pull in 6th. Well, when I downshifted to 4th, the engine made a strange noise as well as the transmission. Service engine soon and battery lights came on, car would go into every gear but wouldn't accelerate (similar to breaking a driveline part). I pulled off to the left side of the median by the wall and came to a stop. I turned off the car, called my parents (who were asleep) and got the answering machine. I started the car and it did infact start, and amazing accelerated in first gear. I went through all gears up to 6 fine with the exception of a faint, but quite noticable hissing noise coming from the engine. The fact that it went through and accelerated through all gears tells me it's not a transmission, rear-end, or any other driveline problem. When I got home, I got out the Digital Camcorder and recorded a short video of my car at idle in the garage, hood up. The hissing noise is QUITE loud and obviously should not be there. I'll try to upload the video sometime tomorrow, but I'll take any ideas ASAP. The belt on the supercharger seems to be intact and still connected, but there was some air pressure pushing out of the engine compartment. I'm trying to be as specific as possible to narrow down the possibilities, so thanks for any help.

[ 22. December 2003, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: REPO-st Man ]

Originally posted by REPO-st Man:

From the beginning...

Went to see LOTR again with some buddies tonight at Easton. On my way home, I turned left at the light heading toward 270 S when a Civic comes flyin around the corner. I give it a little bit of gas in 2nd gear, but let him in front of me onto the onramp. He guns in on the onramp, I follow suit (though in 6th gear now). Probably doing about 80-90mph in 6th at the bottom of the ramp, I downshifted to 4th quickly in order to accelerate fast enough to blow right by him instead of the gradual pull in 6th. Well, when I downshifted to 4th, the engine made a strange noise as well as the transmission. Service engine soon and battery lights came on, car would go into every gear but wouldn't accelerate (similar to breaking a driveline part). I pulled off to the left side of the median by the wall and came to a stop. I turned off the car, called my parents (who were asleep) and got the answering machine. I started the car and it did infact start, and amazing accelerated in first gear. I went through all gears up to 6 fine with the exception of a faint, but quite noticable hissing noise coming from the engine. The fact that it went through and accelerated through all gears tells me it's not a transmission, rear-end, or any other driveline problem. When I got home, I got out the Digital Camcorder and recorded a short video of my car at idle in the garage, hood up. The hissing noise is QUITE loud and obviously should not be there. I'll try to upload the video sometime tomorrow, but I'll take any ideas ASAP. The belt on the supercharger seems to be intact and still connected, but there was some air pressure pushing out of the engine compartment. I'm trying to be as specific as possible to narrow down the possibilities, so thanks for any help.

If you need help let me know. I have an Auto-tap we can hook it up to and figure out whats going on.

I have the video on my computer, just need someone to host it. Rob, if you want to come over and take a look, I'd really appreciate it. I sent ya a PM.

EDIT: I TRIED to send you a PM, but your box is full! :mad::D I'll be home all day, so give me a call at 614-837-8489.

EDIT: See if the link to this video works. (Right click, save target as)

video

[ 22. December 2003, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: REPO-st Man ]

I went out in the garage to do a little more research. I found that when I turned on the car, then turned it off, when the car goes off a noticable suction noise occurs. Then, after the car had shut off, with the hood open, a quieter hissing noise can be heard best from under the hood (if looking at the engine from the front of the car, the hissing (as if air is leaking) is loudest in the front left of the engine compartment, like between the intake and engine block). A hose leak of some sort definitely sounds to be a possibility, but I couldn't really see anything suspicious. But then again like I said, I'm not very mechanically inclined.

Welp, problem is fixed. Hensler to the rescue. VERY minor problem, just the vacuum hose on the back of the blower (or engine, behind the block) popped out. James popped it back in and idle returned to normal. Fowler, since James hardly if ever reads the board, make sure you tell him thanks from me again. I really appreciate it.

Well, now there's another small problem. I went to work today and stalled twice on the way there (unexpected stalls), then on the way home just about every damn time I pushed in the clutch and came to a stop, it wanted to stall. I'd fight it by tapping the gas to keep the rpms up. Also, I noticed that I was not making peak boost throughout the rpm range. In 3rd gear when floored, my car made peak boost until about 4500 rpms, then slowly dropped to roughly 7 by the time I hit 5500. When I got home, I unhooked the negative battery cable for about 15 minutes, hooked it back up and drove the car around. The good news is the stalling problem seems to be worked out. The bad news is the boost leak is still there. Could that be just another hose, or possibly something more major?

Originally posted by REPO-st Man:

Well, now there's another small problem. I went to work today and stalled twice on the way there (unexpected stalls), then on the way home just about every damn time I pushed in the clutch and came to a stop, it wanted to stall. I'd fight it by tapping the gas to keep the rpms up. Also, I noticed that I was not making peak boost throughout the rpm range. In 3rd gear when floored, my car made peak boost until about 4500 rpms, then slowly dropped to roughly 7 by the time I hit 5500. When I got home, I unhooked the negative battery cable for about 15 minutes, hooked it back up and drove the car around. The good news is the stalling problem seems to be worked out. The bad news is the boost leak is still there. Could that be just another hose, or possibly something more major?

Probably another hose.