Oil Return Problem on Turbo.

Doug1647545489

Well I bought a nice turbo and I wanted to reclock the exhaust side but because of how the bolts and oil fitings are you can't get a wrench on two of them. The problem is the return is now on the top and the feed on the bottem. I was wondering if I could some kind of pump and put it inline to suck the oil out of the turbo and into the oil pan. ANd if anybody nows of where I could find an electric pump like this.

It's called a scavenge pump. Flat-6 Porsches use them since they use a dry sump oiling system, and have no true oil pan for the oil return to drain into. The ones they use are driven off of one of the cams though, and aftermarket versions are well over $500. If you tried to use something electric, the motor would need to be speed controlled based on rpm, since oil pressure isn't exactly constant over the rpm range. So you would probably have oil starved bearings at low rpms, and you would have too high of an oil pressure in the center cartridge (CHRA), in the top rpm range, causing seal leakage, if you used a constant speed scavenge pump.

Save yourself some time and money, and just clock the CHRA correctly, using a few extra fittings to get it to work if necessary. Why wouldn't you be able to spin it 180 from it's current position while still keeping the compressor and turbine housings clocked the way that you need them? If you post a pic of what the problem is, I could probably give you a better idea of what you needed to use.

OK here I took a pic. The bolt is obvioulsy circled. YOu can see from the second pic. I took that from the top and thats how the exhaust flange has to be with the manifold I have. YOu can see how the oil flanges are upside down. You can see how I need to turn the exhaust housing. I don't care about the compressor side since I can make my pipes anyway I want.

http://flathat.woodstream.net/ColumbusRacing/Turbo1.jpg

http://flathat.woodstream.net/ColumbusRacing/DCP00623.jpg

I will probably have to sell it.

So that's the last bolt you can't get off in order to clock it the way you need to? Is the bolt siezed or is it just too difficult to get a wrench on it? If you are honestly going to have to get rid of it because of this, you could bring it by sometime and I will see if I can do anything with it. Send me a pm if you want a hand and I will let you know when I have some time.

-Brett