gas pedal

Guest rugbyracing

Guest rugbyracing
today my gas pedal fell to the floor but doesnt give gas i looked at itand it looks like the cord that goes from the peadal to the engine is giving too much slack how do i fix this? when i floor it, it goes like 35 :confused:

Guest powers
Pop the hood and check out the connection at the throtle body it could have come out of the channel that is used to route the cable. There could be a few things that happened but it's just one of those things you have to just look at see what went wrong and correct it. the clamp that holds the jacket down while the cable moves could have broke or slipped. Just check it out. shouldn't be a hard fix at all.

Guest rugbyracing
it is still in the groove w/ the throtle body and what is the jacket the might have sliped... it just looks like there is way to much slack but it is connected

Guest Computerguy5
The jacket he is referring to is the plastic around the metal cord. It has to connect to something solid at the ends so that there is tension on the cord itself (which is what moves the throttle plate when you press the pedal). Make sure the jacket isn't loose at both ends. if that's not it, you could have stretched the cable (unlikely) or there may be a tensioner that needs readjusted (also unlikely, but I've seen it)

Guest powers
Originally posted by bigbabyjesus:

Throttle cable probably broke, thats a pretty easy replacement on most vehicles.

Notice that he said it does aucuate some when pressed to the floor. This would not be possible if the cable broke. Unless it is frayed and not completely split in two.

My hyundai has a cable/vacuum setup. The cable pulls on a piston that sucks on the vacuum lines that pulls the throttle open (don't ask me, goofy setup) you might have the same thing? If so the vacuum line seems to have a leak.