Ford X cam

KlubFoot

Ok... my dad was feeling generous this Christmas and decided to get me some stuff for the Mustang. Ford 30# injectors, 75mm mas air, 255 lph fuel pump, and fords X-303 cam. :D

My question is, with the .542 lift and 224 duration when I get a new set of heads, am I going to need new pistons? I really wanted to go with the TFS twisted wedge heads, but I think the 2.20 valve size is going to be too big. If I went with different heads with 1.90 valves would it work? Or am I going to have to put this together and check the clearance as I go? Please let me know! Thanks tongue.gif

It'd be close with a normal 1.90 head, the TFS heads would probably hit. What about trading it for another cam?

FWIW, We just tuned a fox car with a strock shortblock, fox lake ported edlebrock heads, a edlebrock intake, a crane 2040 cam, 24# & pro-M injectors and a full exhaust and it made 300rwhp and 321ft/lbs on a mustang dyno. smile.gif

Hey, I dont know about trading it for another cam, if I can make it work that's what I want to do. If not, then I need to find another one. Is there some kind of formula i could conjer up to check the theoretical clearance with 1.90 valves?

That setup does sound nice! I hope my #'s will show up when everything is said and done!

I dont know of any formula to give a amount of piston to valve clearence. Anyway with manufacturing tolerances and other variables a formula would never work out right, with out actually checking some things first. Its always recomended to check it, never assume it will get you if you do.

Guest chochmo
I have never done it, but I have heard that the X-303 is the largest one Ford makes that can be used with stock pistons. I'm not sure with the heads, it would all depend on the pushrod length and rockers you have. You should always check the clearance, the 5 minutes it takes to clay it is well worth it seeing all the money at stake.

Originally posted by rl:

It'd be close with a normal 1.90 head, the TFS heads would probably hit. What about trading it for another cam?

FWIW, We just tuned a fox car with a strock shortblock, fox lake ported edlebrock heads, a edlebrock intake, a crane 2040 cam, 24# & pro-M injectors and a full exhaust and it made 300rwhp and 321ft/lbs on a mustang dyno. smile.gif

That sounds like a decent combo, makes me wonder how in the hell my setup makes close to the same #'s.

;)