battery / alt problem?

Guest floorpie

Guest floorpie

so my car ran fine til a week ago. then the battery died. charged it up and took the terminal off,still ran, sono alternator problem, right?

went andboughtan ew battery. car got me from cleveland to cinci to back to columbus then it died. charged the battery. as soon as i drove with the headlights on. BAM dead within 20 min. COMPLETELY dead.

one of my headlights only works if you beat on it,could this short be causing it? i drove home from cleveland on saturday and by the time i made it back the battery charge light was flicking when i hit corners or stopped, this has actually never hapened before.

i'm dumb. please help

Guest floorpie

yeah i had auto zone check but they jsut told me the battery was good and alternator bad. took it another place and they said the battery was completely dead and bad.

talked to ridenred and he said it probably wasnt the alt but i'm waiting to hear from him

Guest nevarmore

In my experience when one goes both the alternator and battery go.

When the alt dies, the battery follows because it has to handle the car's load. When the battery dies, the alt fries trying to charge it back up.

It's worth the peace of mind to replace both the battery and the alternator at once. Especially since a lot of alts have lifetime or really long warranty periods. Plus a lot of alts are the same for a lot of cars, if the whole thing takes a shit you can raid the alt for the next ride.

One of the reasons that you should at least consider replacing battery.

Lead /Acid car batteries are not designed to be deep cycled. Meaning that it be discharged then recharged, which is what you have basically done. It is hard on them. I have been told that a car battery will loose 20% of its current capacity every time it's allowed to be run dead.

Now I don't know for sure if this is true, but I have used car batteries as power supplies and run them dead and then recharged them and after abotu 20 times, they will not charge. So there may be something to it.

A car battery is designed to release very high amperage, for a short amount of time, when starting the car.

Were a deep cycle marine battery is designed differently internally. ANd it is designed to be run dead, or a good portion of the way down, then charged back up. I have made the mistake of trying to run a deep cycle battery in a car and killed it in about a month.

SO in your case, break down and get a battery. Best place to go if you are strapped is either AutoZone, or Interstate battery i Westerville and get a rebuilt battery. They are as good as new, and cost a bit less.

Guest floorpie

i bought a brand new battery over the weekend. still did it after a long trip back from cleveland.

my headlight only works if you jiggle the wirees, the alt is good

it confusesme

ridenred27 is gonna check it out tonight, maybe he can figure it out

Originally posted by NurkVinny:

Everything you have said describes an alternator failing.

It's sounded like the alt. from the beginning.

Plus, AZ tested the alt, and told you it was bad.

Then, you replaced the battery.

Originally posted Bum Runner:

the alt is good.

Why do you think the alt. is good?

Guest jpurdy2003
It's your alternator. And DO NOT buy an auto parts store rebuild. I have been through three on the Talon in a year. They might replace them free when they fail, but it sucks being stranded when they do fail. The boneyard is your friend, if you can find an OEM one there.