Car not accelerating right/hot start issue maybe?

Veritas

Well my car died on me today which scared the piss outta me, i automatically thought "oh no, apex seal" but no all that stuff is fine. so i let the car sit for a while, let it unflood, and boom started.

But this problem has been happening for the past couple of weeks that when the car is warmed up, it doesn't want to start unless i hit the gas a lot, and ontop of that, when im driving it doesn't act like it's getting gas very well anymore, like i can hit the pedal and it "coughs" would be the best way to describe what happens. It won't immediately like, go fast and it was just fine a couple weeks ago so i don't know what happened from then to now. I let my car get really low on gas to the point i had to get my mom to take me to put some gas in a gas can and get it back to my crib so I could put some in. Im going to replace the fuel filter tomarrow so hopefully that fixes the problem but i have this aching feeling that's NOT the problem. So, any suggestions would be nice to have.

Mark has some ideas so i'm putting it out here completely so he can sort the problem out as well.

Guest nevarmore

If you let it run low on fuel your pump may have sucked up some tank sludge. Replace your fuel filter and run some injector cleaner through on the next fill up. If that doesn't help the sock on the in tank pickup have have gotten sludged or your injectors have have gotten badly sludged.

Pull the plugs and see how they look. Check the oil too, when was the last time it got changed?

My carb'd 85 has been having some issues because of the constantly changing weather. Yours might be suffering too.

Originally posted by Rebel INS:

Sucks when your car wont start

Way to help. Read the guidelines at the top of the page.

thanks convert, im going to replace it today but i have no idea where the fuel filter is which is mildly annoying :( anyways ima talk to mark, see if he feels like pointing some light in the right direction for me

T.c.

Guest lustful

hmmm i don't know jack about rotarys.. but does it have an IAC valve.. if that is dirty, or just shot a warm start will make the car die sometimes.. mine did and it just needed cleaned..

that or throttle position sensor if so equipped... that makes the car stumble like a mother.. again i don't know jack about yours.. but i would try a rotary forum for advice

alright there man lemme see, i had the hot start problem which went away not sure exactly what i fixed but i can give you some shit to look at

i've heard running injector cleaner can be bad for your seals. i would take them out and have them all cleaned and blue printed, or if ur going to upgrade secondaries, now is the time. There have been problems where the fuel pump wire is just old, there are several write ups on rx7club.com and teamfc3s.org to help you with rewiring the pump and making sure its receiving all the voltage.

hot start problem also some people say it points to low compression, with 83k(or whatever) on the motor that definitely might be a problem.

I had my fuel injection relay fuck up, i even had to get towed it was a hard feeling to describe but sounds similar, there isa metal box with 1 screw holding it on to the inside of the driver side fender inside the engine bay, after driving a while touch it and see if its very very warm(or when ur car feels like its failing) very expensive peice at the dealer but very cheap at the junkyard btw)

fuel filter is a good idea. but probably not the problem.

TPS (throttle position sensor) it is a bitch make a test light or use a voltmeter, i have yet to be succesful in testing with either of those two the only reason i got it right was B/C i used my SAFC to adjust the TPS. I think ihave an extra TPS laying around.

as far as stuttering check and make sure your throttle plates have free movement, they suck maybe do the throttle body mod while ur at it.

takes a while but once u get all the lil probs out of it u'll love it.

if i think of anything else i'll post, also if you need help don't hesitate to ask. btw if you do a compression test make sure the car is warm :D

it's still giving me shit when i try to accelerate, its not getting something somewhere and it's annoying the piss outta me > redface.gif

replaced spark plugs too cause the flooding is causing them to go bad too, blah.

Guest freakmore
if u have a distributor replace the cap and rotor / once the points wear out u dont get enough spark out of it / that might help quite a bit /if u dont have a dist... sorry cant help