Boost Controler and Turbo Timer

Guest stvbreal

Guest stvbreal
I'm still researching mods for my Evo. You guys wanna give me some insight? What's the best boost controler and turbo timer? I got the downpipe, intake, exhaust, and injectors covered.

Guest 1 BAD Z TT
the greddy profec b has been around forever and works well. I've got one of them in my Z and I have a few friends that run them in their DSM's with good results. It holds boost rock steady and let's you set a high and low boost level - they usually cost about 300 bucks.

Guest stvbreal
Originally posted by M:

the greddy profec b has been around forever and works well. I've got one of them in my Z and I have a few friends that run them in their DSM's with good results. It holds boost rock steady and let's you set a high and low boost level - they usually cost about 300 bucks.

Sweet, definitely want to get a unit that will hold steady boost. I take it is a mountable unit, like in dash or over head. I have to wait for the wiring harness for the Evo unless I use a 2G Eclipse harness and remove a jump wire. That seems to be the way most Evo owners doing, rather than waiting.

Guest badmuthrfkr
Originally posted by EvilEvo:

Sweet, definitely want to get a unit that will hold steady boost. I take it is a mountable unit, like in dash or over head. I have to wait for the wiring harness for the Evo unless I use a 2G Eclipse harness and remove a jump wire. That seems to be the way most Evo owners doing, rather than waiting.

Personally I don't like the Profec B. If you can get your hands on a used HKS EVC EZ, that is the way to go. They run about $250 used.

AVC-R is a headache IMO to switch settings, I like simple shit for when you are on the fly. The press of one button allowing me to go from high to low boost is much more attractive. Maybe I should play with one more often? smile.gif

HKS > GReddy for most things. Their quality is higher in this industry.

I think Jason at RX7store.net is liquidating his Profec B stock at $299 shipped. Cheaper than what I can get it for.

As for a turbo timer, they are all the same. Some have features you won't use after the first week such as 400km timing, and other little stuff.

I still have a new GReddy Full Auto Timer here in black that I was going to install in my car. I'll sell it to you for a very good price just so I can free up some money, and space on my desk.

smile.gif

Guest 1 BAD Z TT

or if you go the much cheaper route you can get the Hallman manual boost controller for 45 bucks from www.boostcontroller.com. They are well respected in the DSM crowd. I've used these in a couple of my past DSM's and they did the job perfectly(just set it and forget it) - it just sucked not being able to hit a button and switch from low to high boost from the drivers seat like you can with most of the good electronic boost controllers.

EDIT: Edited the URL to point to boostcontroller.com instead of controllers

;)

[ 25. March 2003, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: THE MAGIC ]

Originally posted by More leftover bolts than CR:

The Tech section will not be used for advertising or for discussions of vendors. Please, and thank you. tongue.gif

My apologies, fixed! BTW, I would go with the Profec B, but my car doesnt' seem to make boost, it just sucks. smile.gif

Guest stvbreal

It's lookin like the Profec-B is it. I jsut want something simple yet very strong. Holds solid boost preasure and I don't need to do a lot of reading on it. I hate reading. tongue.gif

Turbo timer isn't a must but it would be sweet to have one. Now, the question is who is gonna help me put this stuff on? :confused: I can do the exhaust, downpipe and intake but I'm not quite sure about the turbo timer and boost controler. New territoy considering this is my first turbo, in 10 years. LAst turbo was a Porsche 930 turbo. Didn't have to do anything with that ride. Grey market, 4 speed. Nasty ! ! :D

Guest fastdriver
I like the Ball Type but it does not do well on VW's because as soon as the ball open the WG sees 14psi drops the boast then it opens again kinda fluttery