Help with a fuel pump...

gillbot

Ok, my fuel pump on my Ford quit a while back and after a bit of "percussive maintenance" it started working again. I took the pump out, cleaned some debris out of the tank, cleaned it all up, and pumped degreaser through it. This worked great for about 3 weeks, then it stopped again. I let it pump about 2 gallons of gas into a gas can, once again there was a bit of debris. I checked the tank again and there was no noticeable debris in the tank. Why does it keep stopping?!?!?!?!?

Any ideas? I've asked a few garages and their general opinion is that it it still works, albeit intermittantly, the pump is still good.

Originally posted by bigbabyjesus:

A pump that's working intermittently is no good in my book. :confused:

Yeah, I agree. smile.gif

Besides, why not just put a new fuel pump in? It can't be that expensive. The factory replacement one I put in my Blazer was around $60, and my Walbro 255lph unit I have in my car was around $90.

$200 for the new pump, $125-150 from a junk yard. All of these have no warranty unless you buy the new strainers and everything else. IMHO, this car is not woth $200 or more, I just want it to last another year.

Anything I can try that may clean gummed up gas better than degreaser?

<EDIT> I was told by a few pump companies and repair shops that 99% of fuel pumps fail two ways. They either get jammed with debris or electrically fail. I've tested mine and it's electrically ok, it just keeps getting jammed and I can't find the source of the debris. I've tried a new strainer, cleaned the old strainer, and tried flushing the pump... Not sure what to try next.

Also check the relay. When my roomate has his CRX, the relay would like to work sometimes and not others. Kept seeming like the fuel pump was going, but it ended up being a stupid relay that only worked some of the time.

Now, I don't know if Ford does it the same way. W/ GM's, you have two systems for powering it, so if the relay goes, that doesn't mean the fuel pump dies, since there is another circuit that powers it up once the oil pressure gets to a certain level. Kinda a back-up circuit.

There is a "test" connection under the hood that jumpers the relay in for testing. According to my chilton, that's where you are supposed to test the circuit. :rolleyes: I have yet to find the actual hot wire running from the PCM to the relay for "real world" circuit testing. It all tests fine via the test connector obviously, which I would assume just jumpers the lead hot via another route to the relay.

I actually thought about just running a new wire/relay circuit back to the fuel pump and wire it to a key on hot lead to get around the PCM controlling the pump, any down side to this? Other than the obvious delete of the safety impact interrupt/cutoff.

Originally posted by Nitrousbird:

Also check the relay. When my roomate has his CRX, the relay would like to work sometimes and not others. Kept seeming like the fuel pump was going, but it ended up being a stupid relay that only worked some of the time.

Now, I don't know if Ford does it the same way. W/ GM's, you have two systems for powering it, so if the relay goes, that doesn't mean the fuel pump dies, since there is another circuit that powers it up once the oil pressure gets to a certain level. Kinda a back-up circuit.