Mobil 1 or Amsoil?

Tinman

I don't remember if I'd moved it or if it's still in the Passing Lane. But I posted a link to research performed on Mobil 1 synthetic a few months ago where some people took a LS1 and ran the oil to like 15k miles or something before changing the oil, and even then it still had life left.

They sent it in for analysis every 1k miles. If you can't find my topic, lemme know.

BTW, that's all I've ever ran in my fast cars smile.gif

Originally posted by Theoretic:

same here, oil is oil, and unless you dont change it regularly you shouldnt have a problem with either, just price wise

I beg to differ there. While standard oil has come a long way, it still does not hold a candle to what a good synthetic oil can do for your car. I even run a lower cost synthetic blend in my beater since the protection is far superior.

I work next to an oil lab at work and get my motor oil tested often and you can literally SEE the difference like night and day between regular oil and synthetic. To each their own though.

When you're spinning past 7000rpm and cooking a turbo bearing that's got a 1800 degree F turbine hanging off of one end of it, a synthetic that can handle those temps is nice to have. Also, the extended drain intervals easily cover the price difference. Most oil tests that I've seen agree with what Anthony posted -- 10k to 15k miles without degredation.

$1000 turbocharger, $2500 short block, $4 a quart oil that lasts 4-6 times as long as $1.50 oil and won't coke up in the turbo bearings...

Who is wasting money again?