Chevy powertrain options...

zeitgeist57

I just bought an '86 Chevy C10 2WD 1/2 ton. It's been sitting under a tree for the past 7 years, and so far a buddy and me can't get the engine to turn over with a breaker bar. THe tranny is stuck in gear also. Dunno if it'll break free.

I'm LOOKING into just swappng the 4.3L (w/ Rochester 4bbl) with a 350, and I'm hoping to maybe get one with a manual transmission also. Currently my truck sports a 4spd manual (3spd with an O/D) with a column shifter, but I can get one of those floor shifter kits depending on the engine/tranny combo.

Does anyone know of a good junker setup (carbureated/manny tranny) setup that would work for this simple, fullsize pickup for less than $500? This is going to be a non-emissions-caring, not-much-to-look-at errands truck for a suburban white male with a mortgage and plans for an upcoming kit car. At BEST I'll Bondo what little rust it's got and paint it a color other than the Highway Department Yellow it's got now, but only AFTER I get it running! smile.gif Thanks!

4.3 to a smallblock is a pretty straight forward swap uses the same mounts you'll need a bigger radiator and maybe new front coil springs if it squats real bad. look for anything with a 350 and a manual trans all that stuff is the same it can come from a car or a truck. try fat kat auto salvage out in reynoldsburg they can prolly set you up with everything for about 500 bucks

HTH

I didn't get around to working on the truck this evening, cuz I was doing the front brakes on a Sportage.

If I can't get the manual to shift out of Rev., then I'll look for another manual or make the automatic conversion. I just feel that an auto would turn this V6 truck into a DOG.