Honda question??????

RedLudeSH

This is for a friend.

Just installed a mugen header and exhaust about 48 hrs ago, but tonight i got check engine light. I checked the code myself and got # 61, "Primary Heated Oxygen Circuit, Slow Response", either the "Primary HO2S sensor" or "Exhaust System". I dunno what's happening here, as I've been driving the car for a couple days and had nothing come up at all. Right after I installed everything, I added a can of octane boost to my fuel tank. I want to figure this problem out without taking it to a dealer, so any help you guys could give would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

i'm not a hond guy obviously but we have these problems on mustangs too. usually happens when we install long tube headers that put the O2 sensor farther away from the motor and it doesn't get hot enough.

as for it not coming on for a couple days, did you disconect the battery during install? it takes the computer a few heat cycles to adjust and recognize that someting is different.

Guest tommaso05
My friend chris posted this for me, I just got regestered not too long ago...I think maybe the O2 sensor in the header might have shook loose a little bit, I'll know for sure tomorrow when I can get under the car and check. The car is running strong, though, even with the CEL on.

Guest tommaso05
Originally posted by kenny:

For the record, octane booster is worthless. Save your money.

Got a case of it free, so I decided to use it...I would never spend my money on additives like that

What year/model? IF it were the gas cap it would have a code for Fuel Cannister EVAP Leak. It sounds like a bad O2 sensor to me, but could you clarify what the code was? Just a code 61 or was it something else also?

I'm guessing he did the same thing I do which is pull the panel from near the passengers side of the center console. Then pulled out the plastic thing that looks like the end of a phone line and put a bent like a "U" paper clip in either side. When you turn on the engine it blinks lets say 6 long times then 1 short time. I'm guessing thats how, it's supposed to work on all fifth gens.

From the information you are giving me, he needs a new O2 sensor. He could reset the light and see if it recodes down the road. I will have to check up using a jumper-wire on them, I wasn't aware of being able to do that on OBDII cars but I guess if you have a PGM Tester handy why would you? ;)