Ceramic coated headers + rust =???

JaSSon

Could someone tell me why my ceramic coated BBK longtube headers are rusting out? The tubes themselves appear to be alright, but the collectors are really rusting bad. IE, through the ceramic, and the chrome coating is peeling off in chunks.

If i knew they would detoriate this quickly, i would have saved $200 and bought a set of MAC's :rolleyes:

Well jason, sounds like it's time to trade up to an f-body... ;)

Seriously though, id call BBK and bitch, and tell them you want a new set or a refund. Especially if they came with some sort of quarantee saying they wouldnt rust.

-Marc

Doesn't surprise me at all. I had my Hooker LT's coated inside and out by Jet Hot (most small online companies offer to have this done prior to shipping it to you). My collectors started rusting after a month. :rolleyes: My headers look like total ass now; no coating on the collectors, primaries rusting up here and there, rust around the flange as well.

Luckily, there's a 3 year warranty on them, and it isn't up yet. Whenever I can get to it, I'm pulling them and shipping them back to Jet-Hot to be recoated.

ceramic coating is not invincible headers expand and contract at a far faster rate than iron manifolds. eventually this is going to cause the ceramic to crack not to mention all the rocks and animals(in jason's case) and water. headers take lots of abuse expect them to rust a little thats what they do. even rusty they will last for years. I've had the same set of headers for my buick for 8 years they had surfacer rust in the box and havn't gotten any better but no holes or problems with them. and before you ask yes it was my daily driver for a long time.

Originally posted by chochmo:

are they ceramic or chrome? your original post says both. I guess it doesn't really matter, either way that sucks, call up BBK and bitch at them.

They're both! They chrome plated, then ceramic coated. (it's possible that they may just be polished, but i think its chrome.)