8.8 rearend limits??

Guest Foxstang133617

Guest Foxstang133617

I have an 87LX stang that has everything beefed up but the rearend. I spent $$$$ on the motor, I did the tremec & dual friction clutch, and reworked the whole suspension toward drag racing(90/10's, 50/50's, upper & lower CR's, etc.)

The only rearend mod is a set of 4.11 gears, it is still in OK shape because it still locks up good, but it has been to the track and gotten the slicks used on it a few times. This year it will see more track duty (w/slicks), and the 4,000-5,000rpm launches make me nervous with stock internals.

I was just wondering what your thoughts are, and experiences are

I have already had many conversations with Mark William over the phone, but their solution cost about $2,500, which with most likely happen within a year given the one in it will holdout

Thanx :D

not that its smart, but I've gone 10.34 on a bone stock rearend with just 3:55 gears, granted only twice. I've run a lot of 11.0's with 1.5X 60's with JUST a set of 8.5" M&H's, absolutely no suspension or mechanical changes from the 1989 trac-lok. I never left the line on the nitrous though, or I woulda probably blown up the rear or broke an axle. The stock 8.8 is a lot stronger than most people think.

Like I said, its not smart, so I'm not bragging. I have a set of c-clip elim 31 spline axles in the garage, but not in the car, yet.

Originally posted by Foxstang133617:

I have already had many conversations with Mark William over the phone, but their solution cost about $2,500, which with most likely happen within a year given the one in it will holdout

My god, what kinda of crack-head price is that?? You should be able to get a heavily built 9" for less than that!

Hell, my 12-bolt (which tends to be slightly more expensive than a comparable 9") only cost me $2400 shipped. And that's a fully loaded Moser unit w/ 33 spline hardened axles, heavy duty Eaton Posi, heavy duty cover, 3-channel ABS, 1350 yoke, C-clip eliminators, everything set up and ready to go, other than pressing the provided axle bearing on the axles and filling her up w/ gear lube. Had I went w/ a spool and no ABS (and I would have if this car was more drag oriented), it would have cost a lot less.

Guest Foxstang133617

The rearend that i had quoted was an 8.8 (they provide a housing) 31 spline axles, eaton posi, welded axle tubes, weld on 9in housing end to eliminate the need for c-clips, my gear choice, axle girdle, and shipped to my door.

I could save $500 bucks if i shipped them my rearend, but the cost of shipping would be expensive, also a good 8.8 like the one i have is still worth a few $$$$

They stated that the reared they were going to sell me was very capable of handling a 600rwhp car with slicks.

Originally posted by Stolen 5.0:

i would definately go with the 31 spline axles. i just had my rear end re done with 3.73 gears, rebuild the limited slip and all the bearings and seals. but i still won't run slicks. 28 spliners might break

unless you're making some serious power and have other suspension mods that'll make you hook hard, you wont break your 28spline axles... I've been running 11's or quicker since 1996 on my stock rear end, cutting 1.6x or better 60's.