flood UPDATE!!!!

Guest sphen02

Guest sphen02

aight...so the streets of ada ended up flooded we had tons of rain real quick...and all the cars around me drove thru the water no problem...it was maybe a foot deep or so...so i decide to go thru....and i get about half way thru the water or so...and the car stops...stalls out...it didnt just all of a sudden lock up or anything...it fell back thru the RPMs...and like...i eventually got it out of the water...and like tried to turn it over...prolly not the best idea if theres water in the engine...but right after the car stalled out i tried to start it back up...so if it was gonna get screwed from water being in there it was already...so i tried to start it yesterday...and itll go to like 100 or so RPMs...but...it kinda sounded like it might not be gettin any spark or something to that effect...im just wondering if i have to worry about my engine being totally fucked or if theres still a chance of the distributor just being wet...it hasnt been especially warm since then...so i really dont know...just looking for opinions...it kinda made the sound my car made when it had fuel line freeze up...but like that time u could hear clicking from the spark plugs...and you cant hear it now...most of the signs point to just something electrical being wet...but im no mechanic...and i figured id get some more educated opinions on said problem...thanx for any advice you can give

[ 21. April 2003, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: hachi roku ]

Pull the spark plugs and have someone crank the engine over. Watch for water to fly out of the spark plug holes. Keep cranking it until there isn't anymore water coming out, pausing to let the starter cool down. You can also remove the distributor cap at the same time, but unplug it so there aren't sparks going everywhere. It should fling any water that was in it out. Did water get into the passenger compartment?

Drain the oil-if there is water in it-add a few quarts of kerosene, turn it over without starting it, let iot sit for a while, drain it. Then add 3 quarts of oil, turn it over without starting it, drain it. To be sure, I'd repat this, then fill it with oil. The kerosene will absorb the water.

Not good. If you got water through the intake and into the cylinders, you probably hydro-locked. Water does not compress like air. If a piston is in upstroke, the water cannot compress and you can bend the rod.

I would recommend taking all the plugs out and turning the engine over BY HAND to push out some of the water. The starter is strong enough to do damage.

You'll just have to let the rest of the wiring and electrical stuff dry out. If you have access to an air hose, blowing out the Distributer and or conncetors may speed the drying.

Good Luck, I'll cross the fingers.

Mike

Originally posted by Rotarded:

Not good. If you got water through the intake and into the cylinders, you probably hydro-locked. Water does not compress like air. If a piston is in upstroke, the water cannot compress and you can bend the rod.

I would recommend taking all the plugs out and turning the engine over BY HAND to push out some of the water. The starter is strong enough to do damage.

You'll just have to let the rest of the wiring and electrical stuff dry out. If you have access to an air hose, blowing out the Distributer and or conncetors may speed the drying.

Good Luck, I'll cross the fingers.

Mike

With the plugs out it isn't necessary to crank it by hand because a) you probably aren't going to be able to crank it by hand fast enough to get any water out and b) you won't get any compression if the plugs are out. If the water did any damage, it already has.

Guest sphen02
Originally posted by bigbabyjesus:

Did water get into the passenger compartment?

a lil bit...the water came up like as high as my door...when i was gettin out of my car some kinda splashed in....like it wasnt deep enough that the passenger cabin filled up at all or anything....it was close to it tho...hehe...i remember when i was gettin out...i didnt want to stand in the water so i climbed up on the top of my car...by standing on my seat...and i ended up jumping in someones van...that day sucked ass...thanx for the help tho guys

which engine is in your car? If i remember right, your car is RWD, and i believe i've heard that some of those cars had the 22R engine in them. If that's the case, no worries. My old 4wheel drive toyota truck was a submarine :D , and it had a 22R in it. After going through deep water (around 3-4 feet deep, over the hood), it was running rough, so i let it sit and idle for a while. It ran rough for the next day or so, but after that it worked it's way out. Oh, and i will promise you that my truck had water in both the intake and the exhaust, as it stalled while underwater one time (i hit it too hard in too high a gear). Toyota makes some bulletproof, and waterproof engines, you won't hydrolock it that easily. I had my Tacoma in about 1 foot of water during a flood, and the check engine light came on as it started running rough. Ran like shit the rest of the night, like it was missing on a cylinder. Next day it was running fine, so i reset the computer and the check engine light disapeared, hasn't come back. That was about a year ago.

Either way, give it some time, it'll dry once it warms up. Or, you can take off the distributor cap and dry it out, but i wouldn't worry too much about the plugs unless the problem is still there in a few days.

Some people may get bent out of shape over my suggestion, but i speak from experiance on this one. ;)

Agreed with the above and water in the cylinders.

I have had water in the cylinders before. Like said before, if it was gonna break, it's already broken.

Do the pull the plugs deal and turn over with the starter like said above. I did the same thing, water shot out. Mine wasn't from driving through water, it was from something else, but anyhow, that's how I got the water out.

Change the oil too.

Another thought. The exhaust could be full of water too. You may want to un-bolt it around the convertor to drain.

Originally posted by copperhead:

which engine is in your car?

This is hachi roku...just in Jesse's room...but it has the 4a-ge in it...i know a few things about it...i dont know anything bout it running in water though...so i dont know ill try those things out....and yeah the water in the exhaust thing sounds like its totally possible...so ill do my best to work on that...thanks again for the help guys i really appreciate it

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sphen02
we have update....ok so i've changed the oil...dried out my distributor...put in new spark plugs...and i did the turn it over to see if water shoots out thing..but that was before the spark plugs and oil..and nothin...but after the plug change and oil...i was startin it up...and it was acting the same way it did before only revving to like 200 rpm...but then it kicked.. it went up to 500 rpm range...and then went back down to about 200 stayed there...i stopped tried to start it again did the same thing...but i tried again after that and it stayed around 200...i tried again a lil later and it did it agaiin but then i tried right after that and it stayed at like 200..i was gonna drain the exhaust but i didnt have a chance to it started rainin on me...sometime tomorrow i think ill jack it back up and take the exhaust off and see if it drains and then starts up...im gonna take the cap off my distributor again here soon and look at my distributor rotor make sure its in good shape..but i dont know any ideas outside of the water in the exhaust thing?

water in the exhaust shouldnt make that much difference, i would think. did you try all new cap/wires/plugs?

have you taken the cap off at all? try wiping the inside clean with a soft towel.

it sounds to me like you're either missing spark or fuel. pull the fuel line off the engine and try turning it over, to see if it's pushing fuel. also try pulling the plugs, and while holding onto the wire, rest the end that sparks against the engine block and have someone turn it over to see if the plugs are sparking. Only pull one plug at a time :D

past that, i dunno....change the fuel filter?

good luck