If you were purchasing a stand alone system what options/features would you want?

fush

If you were going to purchase a stand alone fueling system what options features would you look for if you were using it on a street/track application? As for an explanation of street/track that means I have a car I plan to drive all the time but on those nice days/nights the other car will venture out onto the street even though thats not what its made for. I have an idea what I would want I'm just curious to see what everyone else would value.

For the nay sayers I will tell you there is already one car in the stable with a stand alone system so I don't need to hear about having to know what your doing etc etc. smile.gif

http://pwtuning.com/project_cars/1989gti18T/proj19.jpg

-jeff

Guest mudbutt
The one in the picture, but with wideband auto tuning. SDS seem to be awsome, no BS pieces. But that atm machine that they use to tune with looks like it would be a bastard to use.

The SDS is really simple to install and tune I agree. Some small things that suck. The magnets that are used as a crank trigger are a pain and you have to custom make a mount to get them to work. They don't offer true low impedence injector drivers just an inline resistance similar to the "honda resistor box trick". And there is only the possibility of using one map/its a pain in the ass at first to find your way around the programmer. So far the car starts right on the first try and is fairly easy to tune but I think the next time around I want something a little more advanced and has more options.

-jeff

Nobody offers anything worth a shit for the stock vr6 ecu except for maybe the matrix giac chip. They wont sell that unless you buy their complete setup though which is quite a bit more than I planned to spend initally. There are other alternatives but by the time you spend time fiddling with fmus chips piggy back units etc etc etc why not do it right the first time?

-jeff

ATP writes their own ecu code which isn't great, and the eip setup isn't great either. Basically drops timing and dumps gas and is dependant on lots of fuel pressure to make up the difference. There is a guy on vwvortex who is writing chips which seem to work but he only has one cookie cutter design that he is selling right now and its not in the range that I'm looking to go to.

I've looked at them as well. Their software is a nightmare imho however. They seem to have all their ducks in a row and a system that is sweet but I don't want to have to hire someone to show me how to use their software. smile.gif

Guest mudbutt
Word to that. How much have you found the dtafast for? Ive been looking into standalone. The Mk3 Supra method of meatering air is only surpassed in shittyness by the flapper afm.

Bill at Schimmel Performance sells a setup which is basically plug and play for the vr6 uses all the stock sensors coil pack etc etc for 2100. It can be had cheaper but he has all the info for me I need to get it setup and will provide maps for my application as well as tuning support. I feel okay paying a bit more to get the extra support from someone who has been using the system on my application for years.

http://www.schimmelperformance.com

The autronic priced out to be a bit more when I was looking into it. It requires a reluctor interface to convert the 60-2 trigger signal to something the ecu can read and also requires a dis box of some sort to run my coils. The guys were fairly cool and gave me all the help I needed but the software seemed complicated compared to the dta setup.

Also looked at getting SDS but by the time I get all the options etc it put me in the same range as the dta and autronic. I've been hearing good things about microtech recently as well and its quite a bit less than everything else. Hopefully someone will actually get it installed before I make my final decision because I don't want to over spend.

-jeff

Guest mudbutt
You seem to have been around the VW block. My friend(the one i was inquiring about the manifold for) wants to turbo his mk3 gti as efficiently as posible ie cheep without ghetto. His goal is <300whp. Not trying to create a monster or a money pit. What would you suggest for managment. We were looking at the eip or atp chips and fpr but if they are as crappy as you say then it really isnt worth it. What good is boost if the timing is so retarded you arent making power. Thanks

Jefenes3 is the guy on vortex burning the chips. He seems to have the setup down. He is running his chip @ 3bar of fuel pressure with the 3.5" maf housing and no intercooler at like 8psi. Thats the route I would go if you're looking at less than 300hp. t3/t4 or maybe a t04b of some sort. Hopefully the first manifold I am trying to get made is done soon. Once that happens I think I can sell a manifold and downpipe for as much as just the cast atp manifold costs. That should save you a fair amount of cash right there.

-jeff

Guest mudbutt
that would be sweet, we already have parts here and there. The car will be intercooled. He already has a spare supra core from me. To4b is what I was thinking. Hardest part would probably be oil lines, but that isnt a huge obsticle. Do you know what size injectors that guy is using? I have atleast 3 spare sets of 440cc and that should be fine for under 300hp

30# 310cc is what he wrote the chip for and what the maf is calibrated for. I would think he would be able to adjust his fueling values easy by percentages if you wanted something custom.

-jeff