HELP!!!!

smokin5s

A buddy of mine drives a '95 Chevy S10 4 banger. He was driving down the road at about 35 mph and he heard a loud thump. The motor died. It will turn over, but won't fire. Any ideas on what it could be? Any thoughts on where to start would be helpful. The tow truck guy thinks it's a compression issue... you can take that for what it's worth. Does anyone have a compression checker that I can borrow... I dont' know where mine is. All fluid levels look fine. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
well... it ended up being a busted timing chain.... about 4 hours later.... timing chain is replaced and the truck is running.... I'm surprised nothing else broke. I think he got lucky :D

Originally posted by Gas,Grass,or Ass:

told ya tongue.gif

haha....that you did. Now if I only know what the heck caused it to break. Man, when we started it up, woo wee... exhast fumes comming out the intake and the exhast (build-up from before) man, that car stunk for about 5 min's, but now she seems to purr like a kitten.

Originally posted by Yellow Cav.:

95k that all my neighbor has (now dont laugh) 262k miles on his s10 with the org. timing chain.

I was thinking it was quite low. The chain tensioner on it was busted, so either that broke causing the chain to snap, or the chain snapping broke it.