ceremic coated headers?

JaSSon

I will be purchasing a set of long tubes shortly, and i have a question. Is ceremic coating that important? The BBK polished ceremic headers run ~ $499, while the polished headers run about ~$399. The Hooker coated long tubes (the ones i really wanted) run ~$610. Is the ceremic coating that important? could i just buy some high-black and paint them myself? would that work?

Modding on a budget blows.

Personally i'de get the ceramic coated bc I think they will last longer. My headers were high temp painted and now they are peeling and look like shit. If you're going to paint them, try to find an oven to bake the paint on in ;)

If you buy the polished ones they will crack and peel in no time. Bassani just put out their coated stainless mid lengths, you can get them in 1 5/8, or 1 3/4, and they make more power than most other manufacturers. The coating also keeps the heat in for more velocity (more power). My headers currently being built were 500, then I had them strip the coating, then they are being re-welded to fit my chassis, recoated and sent back to me (an additional 480). There is no way I will pay that much for a set of headers only to have them rust out in a year or two. Get the coated versions.

Are they stainless? If they are you probably don't need coating. I've had uncoated stainless headers for two years and have no problems with rust. If they're just regular steel I'd spend the extra $100 and get them coated though.

I have Jet-Hot coated Hooker LT's. Sadly, my coating has went to crap; it flaked totally of the collectors and looks like ass.

Next time I pull the headers, I'm sending them back to be recoated; they are under warranty after all. Jet Hot also coats them inside and out, which is nice. It also significantly reduces temps from the headers, and is just an overall good idea.

I've learned that if the headers are originally painted, and then ceramic coated, the coating doesn't stick as well. If I were going to do it again, I'd just get the Jet Hot brand long tubes; they made their own set for LT1's, which are basically an improved copy of the Hooker LT's.