car shopping: '87 supra

Guest nevarmore

Guest nevarmore
Still helping the same friend shop for cars. He's now got his eye on an 87' (or at least late 80's) Supra w/ a turbo. What do we need to watch out for on these cars??

Guest OhioSiGuy
I have a friend with a pretty solid N/A 89 Supra. I suggest not to get a turbod 80's supra. By now the engine and the turbo might not be in the best of shap i suggest buy an na take parts from a turbo model and then buy a new turbo thanks to ebay, a little bit of work on the old in-line six but i think its the better route. He wants something like 3000its black with red interior solid car in my opinon. But im only kid so what eva.

Guest mudbutt

1st and foremost, look for a blown headgasket. The signs are girgling in the dash from air pockets, oil in coolant overflow, and the most obvious white sweet smelling smoke. Some say an idle that occationally burps is a sign, but they ALL do that. It is hardly noticable and totally harmless.

Another thing to look for, as with all 80s cars from Japan is rust. The Mk3 isnt terrible, but has some spots. The most common is the metal inside the plastic rocker pannel trim on the fenders. Rust also tens to happen along the rear wheel wells. You also want to look for bubbling paint around any trim.

2ng Gear synchro takes a lot of abuse so check the tranny out. If it has only a slight resistance, it can probably be aided with redline mt90, as that has solved the problem in 3 of mine.

If possible, look for an 89-92. They made a revision to the ecu that responds better to mods and piggybacks. It is also better overall. The crank in these years is also lighter with smaller counterweights.

Look for leaking seals arouns the front windows and targa if applicable. if not terrible, it can easily be aided by a product called "Jacks Lube" that you can get at most swimming pool supply stores.

That is really all I can think of that is common problems for the Mk3. Obviously you should look for common problems as with any car and check the turbo shaft play if it is a turbo model.

Good luck and Ill try to answer any questions that you may have.

Joel

[ 24. July 2003, 06:32 AM: Message edited by: Ol' Drippy ]

Guest SupraAEIMT

I've never EVER heard anything about '89-'92 respoonding better to mods, however a lot more people own those then '87-88, so maybe it's never come up. Naturally, they make revisions as the model goes along, so chances are they are all around a little better. torque is up a tad, so they obviously changed something. I've heard it was only with the exhaust, but that's just hearsay from other owners. I think most of it comes down to the styling. I think '89+ cars a FUGLY because of the nose and tail lights (virtually the only exterior things changed) but they do have a cup holder, lol. But I like the '87-'88's better anyway because it's a square change holder, that closes, and still works perfectly as a cup holder. Also, you could get the 'SuperComputer' on the earlier models, which tells you mpg, ect. some people care, some don't.

Obviously the headgasket and other stuff is good advice, but no point in posting it twice.

ya can't tell that I'm partial to the earlier models or anything, can ya? lol

a general thing i look for on any trubo car is any oil or fluid leaks, any lines to the turbo make sure there is no leaks there, you dont want that turbo going out it can do damnage to the motor, with turbo dsm's fluids get dumped in the crankshaft after the turbos gone bad causeing it to seise(sp)i dont know if its the same deal with aa toyota but its worth looking out for, also see if you can find out if its the origonal turbo or if its eaten any turbos prior to your purchas.

Guest mudbutt
Originally posted by SupraAEIMT:

I've never EVER heard anything about '89-'92 respoonding better to mods, however a lot more people own those then '87-88, so maybe it's never come up. Naturally, they make revisions as the model goes along, so chances are they are all around a little better. torque is up a tad, so they obviously changed something. I've heard it was only with the exhaust, but that's just hearsay from other owners. I think most of it comes down to the styling. I think '89+ cars a FUGLY because of the nose and tail lights (virtually the only exterior things changed) but they do have a cup holder, lol. But I like the '87-'88's better anyway because it's a square change holder, that closes, and still works perfectly as a cup holder. Also, you could get the 'SuperComputer' on the earlier models, which tells you mpg, ect. some people care, some don't.

Obviously the headgasket and other stuff is good advice, but no point in posting it twice.

ya can't tell that I'm partial to the earlier models or anything, can ya? lol

This cup holder you speak of is the same in all of them. With the exception of different markings on the gauges, different button colors on climate controls and radio, all of the mk3 interiors were the same barring color and material pattern. There were also 2 extra rear speakers in the 89+ graemlins/jerkit.gif and the 92 had 6.5" components up front. Exterior is prettymuch a toss up. I have an 89 with 87 nose and will probably change to an 87 style spoiler. I despise the 86.5-88 tail lights. as if the car didnt scream 80s enough....Ive owned 2 87s and 2 89s they all suck ;)

Joel

[ 25. July 2003, 03:55 AM: Message edited by: Ol' Drippy ]

Whats the asking price on the car? In my experience, supras command more money than rx7's of the same generation, and the MkIII is hardly worth more than a rx7 (imo). N/a's of course are dogs, but I'll take a n/a rx7 over a n/a supra any day. Mileage is also an issue with older cars.

Many 7mgte's spin crank bearings if oil is low. Also electronics can go bad after years of heat and abuse, one noticeable sensor is the TPS, and an unstable idle. Oil leaks are also an issue, if you really want the car, just know exactly where the oil leaks are comming from, and negioate from there. One final note is the power steering high pressure line almost always goes bad as well.

Guest mudbutt
True that. They are good cars and the motor can take a lot of abuse if it has been taken care of. Another think you can do is pick one up with a spun bearing super cheep 500-1k depending on condition and rebuild the motor. you have a fresh motor car for less than the going rate on a decent running one. I agree with the fact that turboII can be had for a similar amount amd be made just as fast for less money. It all depends on what you want. The mk3 is more of a luxury car that is kinda fast. Not that that makes a difference when you are racing. I find them to be quite comfortable for a daily driven car. They had as many options as some luxury cars at the time, heated mirrors, 5 way power seats, automatic climate controls, adjustable suspension (TEMS) on some models.

Guest SupraAEIMT

Yeah, Supra's are far better as a modded daily driver then an all out race car, because that's what they were made for. I can't believe I forgot to mention the high pressure power steering line. what WAS Toyota thinking? having the high pressure line run from the front of the engine bay, beneath the engine, to the back and opposite side of the engine bay. Not to mention it changes between metal and hard rubber 3 or 4 times (on N/A Models anyway) it's dumb, to say the least.

I forget who said it, but someone mentioned they would take an N/A RX7 over an N/A Supra any day of the week. I'm just curious, why?

Also Turbo Supra's can be made pretty quick relativly(sp?) cheap. DP, Exhaust, Boost Controller, and you are looking at upwards of 300hp. Put in a MHG, and you can do that reliably. Get bigger upper intercooler piping, and a bigger "3000" Pipe, run 12-13psi, and you are definitly over 300hp. The headgasket is really the only issue on the motor. Get a MHG, treat the motor right (keep oil in it, change it regularly) and it'll take lots of abuse, and run for a LONG time.

Hhhhmmm....spun crank bearing....don't know where I've heard of that before. ;) Yes, that's one thing that's can be an issue, but it's not all that common. But the HG is another story. I've been there and done both of them with 2 different MKIII's.

But all in all, they're great cars and I love them. You can put down alot of power with them as long as it's done right, and not done cheap. My suggestion is get an 87-89 turbo and put the 90-92 tail lights on it. Then when you want to start modding, go with a K&N, 3" DP and a 3" exhaust, then get about 6 washers and shim the wastegate to run around 12psi of boost. Any more mods than that and you're going to need a Lexus AFM, S-AFC, 550cc injectors and a turbo upgrade.

Guest mudbutt
Really the car can do 400 on stock 440cc injectors with a slightly higher base fp and leaning it out a tad. The car runs so rich anyway. Upon more research I have found that the stock afm doesnt actually run out of resolution at fuel cut, so if you use an afc, afr, or emanage you can do 300 safely on stock meater. The stock turbo runs out of the sweet spot around 12psi, but 14-15 can be done if you use an ebc and dont always keep it there. As for th n/a thing n/a mk3 are turds. Id have to say Id take an rx-7 over one any day 160 or so hp at the wheels in a 36-3800lbs car leaves much to be desired.

Originally posted by Ol' Drippy:

As for th n/a thing n/a mk3 are turds. Id have to say Id take an rx-7 over one any day 160 or so hp at the wheels in a 36-3800lbs car leaves much to be desired.

That was my whole point. All the luxury items add weight. The rx7 is very light, better balanced, stiffer stock suspension, and seems overall quicker in the twisties, while for less money. Granted it doesn't have any torque, but it seems like it has less overall problems.. bearing in mind the little finiky rotary. I don't regret owning a MkIII... I regret owning the MkIII that I owned. There are better examples out there than the one I had. And if you find a 89-92 with a blown motor, you can throw a 1jz-gte in it and call it a day.

Guest nevarmore

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!

The owner only wants $1800 for this car. My buddy is about to nut himself, but I'm a little suspect of the price.

It's turbo'd, has had the top end rebuilt a few years ago while the head gasket was being replaced, body is good, trans is good, its even got rims and Z rubber along with stock steelies and winter rubber. Is this an insanely good deal or should someone invest in a mechanics inspection.

Guest mudbutt

1jz is the "JDM" kids dream. That is about it. You can build a 7m to take way more abuse and make more power for less money. The 500 extra rpm isnt worth the .5 liters less in displacement in that tank of a car. If you want to be "different" get a 2j, better than both motors by a long shot. Yes it is loot, but if you are going to throw money in a fire, you might as well go fast while you are at it.

As for the $1800 car, look for all of the things mentioned above by the misc posters. The price is right. If it runs good and isnt rusted bad and what not, get it annd have fun. Remember to watch oil level and pressure always. That is the main reason for spun bearings.

Joel

7M-GTE > 1JZ-GTE without a doubt. Like Joel said, the extra 500rpm isn't worth dumping the .5 liter. Plus, I'd take the single turbo setup of the 7M over the twin setup on the 1JZ any day.

And if everything checks out on that MKIII your friend had better buy it, or he'll be kicking himself in the ass later on for not jumping that deal.