best choice of 350?

Guest SupraAEIMT

Guest SupraAEIMT

ok, so I'm thinking throwing a 350 in my old '90 Astro Van is gonna end up being my summer project. Right now it has the 4.3L V6 in it, and a 350 is a pretty easy swap. I've heard that a Vortec 350 is really easy, since they are both TBI, i can i swap over all but a couple accesories. Anyone know how much i could pick one up for?

I'm thinking that, or go with an older carbed one. I don't think an 80's TBI 350 would be worth it, and I don't feel like trying to screw with swapping to TPI or anything like that.

i know the motor mounts are the same, or pretty close with Vortec 350's, I would assume they would be the same on an older 350? that's for any help anyone can give me...

Guest SupraAEIMT

cool, thanks for the tips guys. yeah, i knew that the 4.3's were 350's without the last 2 cylinders, that's what got me thinkin about it :D

Does anyone know what makes the TBI 350's so shitty? because if it's something like terrible heads or restrictive exhaust that's not a problem, but if it's low compression I don't feel like messing with that yet

All I want for now is for it to be in the 14's. I mean, for an Astro, that's awesome. Then I was thinking of running a 100 or so shot, to have a little fun at the track ;)

If I couldn't find anything good from friends or whatnot, I was gonna figure out what all trucks came with the Vortec 350, and start calling some junkyards. I can't wait :D

Oh yeah, I looked in the Jegs catalog, side-pipes $129.99 :cool:

Guest SupraAEIMT

has anyone had experience doing a TBI to carb swap? because I might just pick up a carb'd 350 and be done with it. depends...i dunno. this is still a few months away, i just wanna figure out what my best bets would be. I don't wanna sink tons of money into it just to make it work. So anything other then TBI or carb'd is pretty much out of the question, unless I found a way to do it real cheap. The theme of this monstrosity will be "cheap and ghetto, so long as it works" :D

I mean, hell, it's an Astro

Guest 1bad66duece
Originally posted by kenny:

Talk to Erv (1bad66duce). He probably has a couple.

If you want the van to be fast pick up a set of AFR's. They're not cheap, but they flow. ;)

thanks kenny your right i do have 1.