TH-400 behind SB Ford??

20G TSi

I know I'm going to catch some shit for asking, but this seems like it could be the cheap route...

I've seen a few companies that advertise a TH-400 -> SB Ford bellhousing. I've found a rebuilt TH-400 for $225... about $700 cheaper than building the C4.

I've been told that the 400 will live behind the 408w (608hp/580ft.lb) with minimal mods... I have a hard time believing this though.

Does anyone know of someone who's done this swap or can call bullshit on the durability of the TH-400?

TIA

I'm not sure how well they match up, but will ask around...

But I know a 400 is a very solid tranny. A friend just had one built to run 1000lb of tq and another friend runs a turbo 400 in this car which I've posted before....:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid16/pa42c92ee489e1c706e07cbbee7eab396/fdeed9b8.jpg

He ran mid 9's and pulled some nice wheelies w/ the 400..

Originally posted by SamZman:

I'm not sure how well they match up, but will ask around...

But I know a 400 is a very solid tranny. A friend just had one built to run 1000lb of tq and another friend runs a turbo 400 in this car which I've posted before....:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid16/pa42c92ee489e1c706e07cbbee7eab396/fdeed9b8.jpg

He ran mid 9's and pulled some nice wheelies w/ the 400..

That car is sweet... I KNOW i've seen him down at edgewater yanking the tires to damn near the 60' mark ;)

thanks for the input, i've been told they're pretty stout, even stock. I just wanted to get some opinions before I picked one up. I just bought a house so funds are low right now... the th-400 is sounding like the way to go.

I would talk to "more tools than..." about his C4 for sale, but I dont think its built enough for my application. I've been told I need billet steel input shafts and alot of other stuff (planetary gears?) to make a c4 work reliabily behind that much torque.

high 9's are my goal, btw, (when I can get the rear setup and a tranny that'll hold up, I can spray the fogger i've had sittin around ;) .

I wonder what he has done to the 400 to make it reliable for mid 9sec capable hp?

What ever I do, it needs to be streetable. I drive to RODRUN in gatlinburg, TN and Clay City 1/4 mile every now and again (and all local tracks)... you cant beat the look on the faces of the trailer queens when you come in with the 8.5" slicks in the back seat :D

[ 24 April 2002, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: blupastu TSi ]

Guest Ubilam
There isnt to much that can break a TH400, I know of a certain someone who posts on here occasionally that runs a 500 c.i. prostock motor coupled to a TH400, oh by the way that motor makes 1180hp at 8900 rpm. You need to get ahold of TCI, they make the bellhousing adapter for your project, good luck and see ya at the track.

Guest 1bad66duece
they sale an ultra-bell to mate a 400 to a ford,but a c4 is a strong trans,and only a powerglde takes less horspower to work than a c4,400`s rob hp.will build you one to last for $500,my freind has an 11 sec maverrick with 2 years on the same trans,send me a p-m if interested.

I have a c4 sitting in my garage... how much to build the one I have?

I've heard about 400's and how they eat up hp, but I figured it was worth it so long as it held up. At this point cost is the most important factor.

So, how much?

Oh I doubt you've seen him at Edgewater. Just Trails as far as I know, but he does pull the fronts and runs 1.2 60's.. But he has a built turbo 400 w/ billet parts. I'm not sure on the specs but another friend of mine just got his tranny/converter setup, I believe from Yank. But it wasn't exactly a bargain (~$4g's :( )

Anyways.. it sounds like 1badd66 should be able to help you out..

Good luck smile.gif